Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #209811 01/27/15 08:23 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi - I'm trying to find a therapist for my DS10. I want someone who can help him understand both his gifts (primarily verbal) and his ... quirks. His processing speed, while well into the normal range, is over 60 points lower than his verbal (WISC IV). He also has some sensory issues (sensory seeking). Plus true quirks that are just his own special things :-). So I'm looking for someone who can help him learn techniques to help him manage it all, plus listen and be there for him when he feels lonely (he's realizing that none of his peers really understand when he starts talking, and while he has good friends, many of his interests and his ideas are beyond them).

I have no idea how much the processing speed/verbal ability disparity impacts him, and would love to find out more about that myself. I have seen that its common to have the processing speed significantly lower, but haven't seen much on what the implications of that are. Anyone have ideas? I'm hoping a good therapist can explain a little of this to me (and help his [amazing, wonderful, best ever] teacher with some strategies).

Anyone know of a therapist in the Boston area who has expertise with this kind of stuff? I'm guessing I'm looking for an education psychologist of some kind - yes? If no one has a direct referral, anyone have ideas of how to start looking?

Also, does anyone have ideas of what kinds of questions I should be asking potential therapists (and what I should be prepared to answer!)?

Thanks everyone!

I
    I
    If no one has a direct referral, anyone have ideas of how to start looking?
    Lists on Hoagies' Gifted Education Page: Psychologists, Professionals.

Also, does anyone have ideas of what kinds of questions I should be asking potential therapists (and what I should be prepared to answer!)?
    Article by James Webb Ph.D., on the SENG website: Tips for selecting the right counselor or therapist for your gifted child

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks Indigo, those are great starting points!

Anyone have any referrals or know of anyone in the Boston area? I"m willing to do my due diligence and search, but one can always hope to find someone in an easier way :-) And one who someone with similar issues (i.e., gifted kid) can vouch for!

G
    G
    Another good source for referrals is through your pediatrician or the school psychologist at your child's school. Don't necessarily go with what your insurance co. recommends. Good luck.

B
    B
    I have a therapist that would be great, alas she is on the other coast. So I can't help you with names. This is the second therapist we have had for DS. The first one was OK for dealing with DS's anxiety issues at the time but he had no experience with gifted kids. My DS's psycologist works specifically with gifted kids & adults and teaching at the local university. She was recommended to me by an educational therapist we were trying to work with. She is working with my son's anxiety, depression and social issue as well as a plan to 'get him through high school' without going of the rails.

The best suggestion is to talk with people. Does the person who did your son's evaluation have any suggestions. Does you school have any lists of psychologists? You can also check with you son's doctor.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM