Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    mom2one Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Ideally, one would want to learn/practice skills in the sheltered social skills group setting until comfortable, then begin with some prepared live practice--where the social skills coach works with a sympathetic member of the natural community (teacher, friendly custodian, empathetic peer) to stage a situation outside of the group, but with a social partner who is in on the skill development goals. From there, one progresses to increasingly naturalistic and independent practice of the skill.

Thanks, aeh. You are so helpful. I will ask for the details of their social skills training.

I have been going over some of the posts on the board, as well as what I want to request for. Thanks for helping me walk through it all.

Anyway, to answer the OP, did you put in a request for an evaluation? I would put in a letter requesting a comprehensive evaluation, and state in the letter what exactly you want evaluated and what your concerns are. Then after they evaluate him you can figure out if he quaifies for an IEP or just needs a 504 plan, and what should be listed as modifications/accommodations.

Blackcat, we had a SST meeting a few days prior to the neuropsych eval. The administrators as well as the teachers know that we were doing the neuropsych eval privately. Another meeting is being scheduled to discuss further. At that time, I was planning to give them a letter requesting specific evaluation with test names, in addition to the neuropsych eval, so we could proceed forward.

M
    mom2one Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I also meant to ask -- usually IEP objectives are specific and measurable. I am not quite clear how organizational goals/executive function goals can be measured. I am also not sure how effectively social skills goals can be measured either, but I am hoping to give a list of present/future (measurable in time) scenarios to the team. I am not sure if I am approaching it the right way, though.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    A few Org/EF goals:
    1. You can measure work completion fairly easily (perhaps with benchmarks that involve completing work first within a certain extended time period, then within the assigned time).
    2. Time on task is slightly more work, but also not difficult to measure; an additional observer would probably be necessary for this, to take samplings of behavior at baseline, and at periodic benchmark periods.
    3. Recording assignments in agenda book. Again, baseline of % assignments accurately recorded in agenda for a week, then periodic checks of agenda. Alternatively, benchmarks could be for 90% accuracy, but progressively fade scaffolding. (e.g., with immediate check-in by each content teacher, then with daily check-in at the end of the day by resource teacher, then with weekly check-in Friday pm, etc.)

I have to run, but I'll try to post some social skills goals/benchmarks a bit later.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Those are great questions. Like the broad umbrella of social skills, executive function skills are a broad group of skills. To prepare for providing direct teaching, the group of skills are separated into individual skills so that each specific skill may be examined/evaluated/discussed individually. Often a few specific skills of highest priority are focused on to be addressed first, with other specific skills to be focused on at a later date (as progress is made with the first group of skills).

The National Association Of Special Education Teachers (naset) has a free webpage on creating an IEP, easily found online with a web search: Determining Measurable Annual Goals for an IEP

Wrightslaw provides a blog post containing resources in answer to the question, "Is the school required to provide social skills training?"

Here is a free pdf including IEP recommendations, provided online by Socially Speaking LLC, which provides a quick summary.

M
    mom2one Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks, aeh. Very, very useful information. I am really thankful for this board and the wealth of info it offers.

I don't think they have an agenda book, but I will ask (maybe it is something they do in upper elementary grades).

Indigo, thank you. I especially found the Socially Speaking LLC link very useful.

P
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    P
    In regards to being able to complete work faster after the other kids have already left for recess, is it not possible they are a distraction? General ADHD distractability or sensory issues that cause trouble with filtering make an empty room much more conducive to getting work done. I honestly think this is true for anyone, but especially for kids with issues remaining on task and focused. Your child may not be able to identify this and therefore "doesn't know" why it is easier to get the work done in those few minutes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM