Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I tried to post this last week but am not sure it went through, so apologies if this is repetitious.

In short, I am a single parent and my family's income and insurance coverage come from my job. But I have also fighting against that reality that homeschooling may be the best option for my child. Is that possible??

Do all homeschoolers have partners with solid jobs or are there ways around such roadblocks like partnering up with other homeschooling families or other strategies I haven't considered?

I am curious to know what configurations folks have made work.
    Thanks.

F
    F
    From the sounds of your post I'm thinking it's probably not the case, but - do you work from home or have some sort of flexibility thereof, such as flexible hours or an ability to do at least some work at home? Or, based on the previous question, could you partially homeschooling, or after school? How old is your child (a middle or high schooler could be left alone for part of the day, for example, if you could be work from home part of the day)? I'm sorry to ask so many questions (don't answer them if you don't want to), but the more information the better to know. I wouldn't yet say it's completely impossible, but (not being a homeschooled myself), there will always be challenges in homeschooling no matter your situation.
    And welcome, by the way. :-)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I don't have exactly your situation, as I do have a partner who can stay home to supervise the children, but I do work full time, and do the majority of the homeschooling direct instruction. Of course, how much of what we do is applicable to you will be highly dependent on your circumstances, and the age/maturity of your children, but perhaps this can, at least, be a starting point for ideas:

I have a small amount of flexibility in my hours, which I've shifted to give us two afternoons a week at home, during which I work with our children. They spend one afternoon at a homeschool coop. The rest of the weekdays, they have task lists, which they work on independently (our oldest is an early adolescent, which makes this more realistic). I also check in with them in the evenings and on weekends.

If you can arrange for some kind of childcare during the day, maybe shift some of the extracurriculars to during your work hours, it might work to move instructional time to nights and weekends. There's no rule that says school has to be between 8 and 2 on Monday through Friday.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    I am a single parent and I can't but others do. If your job pays well enough to pay for care or if you have a friend or relative who would provide cheap/free care, or if your child is old enough and OK with being alone (here not until 14) or if you can work from home or take the child to work.

I'm a single parent homeschooling, and I'm only able to make it work because the situation is right. I would say a single working parent needs two or more of the following:

- Flexible job hours;

- A big homeschooler community, offering lots of kid-swap and co-op classes;

- Plenty of money to hire as much help as you need;

- Relatives who are local and eager to help with childcare.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM