Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #210009 02/01/15 02:41 AM
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Study: Popular Over-The-Counter Drugs May Increase Dementia Risk
    David DiSalvo
    January 29, 2014
    Forbes

Quoting the researchers: “Given the devastating consequences of dementia, informing older adults about this potentially modifiable risk would allow them to choose alternative products and collaborate with their health care professionals to minimize overall anticholinergic use. Additional studies are needed to confirm these findings and to understand the underlying mechanisms.”
    The common over-the-counter products linked to Alzheimer's? The list includes "antihistamine used to treat allergies", including some commonly given to children.

More about Alzheimer's appears in the March 2015 issue of Discover magazine, which features the cover story "Alzheimer's and the Aging Brain".

Why Did Grandma Put Her Underwear in the Refrigerator? is a book co-authored by a DYS which helps explain Alzheimer's to children who may have a family member experiencing Alzheimer's. There is more information about this young author, researcher, philanthropist and other young people making a difference, on the website My Name My Story.

indigo #218268 06/13/15 08:32 AM
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Children do not outgrow being gifted, rather indivduals are gifted throughout the lifespan. Giftedness in adulthood is discussed in the article Can You Hear the Flowers Sing?, by Deidre V. Lovecky, found on the SENG website.

Yet even gifted individuals may experience the downward spiral of Alzheimer's.

June is national "Alzheimer's and Brain Awareness Month" (ABAM).

The Alzheimer's Association, "The Brains Behind Saving Yours", offers 10 Ways To Love Your Brain.

indigo #218271 06/13/15 11:45 AM
    F
    F
    The common over-the-counter products linked to Alzheimer's? The list includes "antihistamine used to treat allergies", including some commonly given to children.

I've also read about many children experiencing behavioral and aggression problems atypical to their normal personalities while on said OTC antihistamines. Mostly anecdotal, of course, but to me this seems like there's something strange going on for some people regarding the brain and antihistamines. I'm not about to swear off modern medicine forever and drink tea from leaves in my backyard or anything, but I'm getting a little wary of those antihistamines especially since I have pretty mild allergies.

The website BrainFacts.org, partly produced by the Society for Neuroscience, has a nice informational page on Alzheimer's disease in general. (If you search the SfN page you can find more technical articles than you'll ever need, but they're not good for casual, informative reading.)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM