Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    This is probably more of a rant but how is it a gifted class...self contained none the less...when the entire class works on the same thing and at only one grade level ahead? 4th grade self contained gifted class only does 5th grade stuff and the whole class has to "master" the subject before they move on. And there is no mandate on 2E kids so my son who is highly gifted with 2 different learning disabilities doesn't have the resources provided to him! Grrrrrr

Q
    Q
    Before the industrial age, mass education didn't exist and private tutors were for the rich only. I wonder if some teachers/parents would ever consider going back to that format?

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Is this what you heard or did they tell you that everyone has to master it first?
    I saw that you just got the test results back, has he already started in this class? Have you talked to other parents yet?
    You may need to demand differiation.
    I know you were so relieved to the test results and now this.

Last edited by GGG; 01/28/15 09:12 PM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Cola
    And there is no mandate on 2E kids so my son who is highly gifted with 2 different learning disabilities doesn't have the resources provided to him! Grrrrrr

Cola, you just received the diagnosis and testing report for your ds didn't you? Accommodations/resources/etc aren't automatically going to be given to your ds (or any student, in most districts), but you can advocate for them and you should receive them. Accommodations aren't "mandated" for anyone (2e or students who are extremely challenged with out the gifted e). In order to receive remediation/accommodations you have to show that your child needs them, which you should be able to do with the report and knowledge you have from testing. Have you requested either a 504 meeting or an IEP eligibility meeting yet? If you haven't, your first step is determining - does my child need an IEP or a 504 plan? Next step, make the request for a team meeting in writing to start the eligibility process (IEP) or write the 504 plan.

Hope that makes sense!

polarbear

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    According to the gifted director for the school district they don't have resources for 2E kids. I did manage to talk to his teacher who agreed to let him use the computer for handwritten work so at least its start. Sorry for the vent I'm just really stressed and have no idea what to do lol

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    And the teacher told us they wouldn't move on until all kids mastered their memorization of the multiplication tables which he can't do. We fought hard. Thankfully the dean got involved and they moved on to the next lesson.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Cola
    According to the gifted director for the school district they don't have resources for 2E kids. I did manage to talk to his teacher who agreed to let him use the computer for handwritten work so at least its start.

AFAIK it is rare for districts to acknowledge 2E kids. However, many districts acknowledge giftedness in some fashion, and all are required to provide a free appropriate education to kids with disabilities. I'd change the vocabulary and talk about each issue separately for a while, even though of course they are interrelated.

Listen to Polarbear above. My focus would be to get a formal plan in place (IEP preferred over 504 because the executive functioning issues will need some direct instruction). Meanwhile work (sweetly, informatively) to bring the gifted ed people up to speed on the disabilities (with which they are likely unfamiliar, but which they are REQUIRED to accommodate.)

Just because the district does not acknowledge 2e does not mean you are without resources.

Last edited by DeeDee; 01/29/15 06:37 AM.
    I
    I
    You may have read this elsewhere on the forums, but for any disability you may wish to become familiar with wrightslaw and the book From Emotions to Advocacy.

A
    A
    It sounds to me like you're already getting at least some accommodation for gifted as he's in the gifted class -- so just worry about his newly diagnosed disability for now. You need to request (in writing) an evaluation for an IEP. An IEP is the right place to formalize accommodations like using the computer or whatever else he needs to succeed despite his LD.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM