Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Aufilia #209300 01/20/15 03:03 PM
    It is my understanding that no, the teacher does not have that information. Since it is computerized, the computer does some "fancy" math based on which questions were answered correctly versus those answered incorrectly and comes up with the score.
    The teacher can see a larger breakdown of scores than many schools send home, but it doesn't really give enough insight to know what the issue is.

DeeDee #209853 01/28/15 12:31 PM
    K
    K
    I don't think all versions cap at +3 grade level because our DS's scores are 9 grade levels above in math.

Kombre #209857 01/28/15 01:04 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Just a reminder that his reported grade equivalents do not mean that he successfully completed items at that level of difficulty, only that his performance on the items administered to him was at the same level as that of the average student of that grade level on these same types of tasks. E.g., a second grade student scores at the eleventh grade grade equivalent. This means that she obtained the same universal scaled score on the second grade test that the average eleventh-grader would have obtained on the second grade test. The test itself may have included items only up into the fifth grade range. It is not the items at different grade levels that are being compared in a grade equivalent, but the performance of students in different grade levels on the same task, which may be well below the instructional level of one of them.

p. 39 of the document cited up-thread clearly states that +3 grade level items are not included in that particular STAR Math assessment. It may be that they have other versions that have higher ceilings. Alternatively, your child may have more frequent assessments, in which case the starting point will have been adjusted based on his prior assessments, which conceivably may make more items available to him, if the whole item set shifts upward. (Although the documentation I've read suggests that it will actually make fewer items available, if the grade-level item set is not shifted, possibly lowering his scores late in the school year.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    DeeDee #209884 01/28/15 09:57 PM
    K
    K
    Thank you, aeh. I think I understand it better now. I find it confusing, especially since our district does not disseminate any information on what it all means (but does use an average of the STAR scores throughout the year as part of the GT identification process).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM