Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    title says it all. I can start blindly googling, but I wanted to ask here first in case there is a website or something that can help.

Thanks!

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    B
    B
    Here is a link with a pretty comprehensive list...

http://thecommonmom.com/summer-camps-for-gifted-kids-and-teens/

I
    I
    Some long-standing lists of summer camps for the gifted include those curated by
    - Hoagies Gifted Education Page lists
    - Davidson Database list
    - NAGC list
    - Each State's local NAGC affiliate
    - Many colleges
    The lists do not all seem to be updated yet for 2015, but often contacting an institution results in them completing their updated annual list rather quickly.

The Davidson Database offers questions to guide decision making in on summer camp experiences:
    Tips for Parents: Finding a Summer Camp - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10199.aspx
    Summer Programs (residential & day camp links) - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10069.aspx
    Tips for Parents: Outside of School Educational Opportunities - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10680.aspx

Hoagies also has a page of tips on selecting a camp, which in many ways mirrors a school selection process.

D
    D
    If your child has access to a gifted placement, ask the teacher. There's no substitute for local knowledge/experience...

B
    B
    What is your child interested in? Are you looking for an academic camp or just something that will expand their horizons? My DS has always wanted a break from academics over the summer and thus we have had good luck with a variety of things. From music camp, robotics camps, to wilderness outdoor camps. I've only enrolled him in camp for gifted once, it was local and he enjoyed it. At that he had fun learning chemistry and physicals at the local university.

Good Luck

F
    F
    The only other list I know is the Duke TiP Educational Opportunity Guide and I haven't completely parsed through it yet. If you don't mind sharing a grade/interest/general location, I've done a LOT of blind googling myself.

G
    GF2 Offline
    G
    FWIW, we have found that interest-specific camps are better than "gifted" camps. Maybe we are outliers, but we found that CTY camp was just not all that high-level. It was a mob scene, and it turns out that many of the kids aren't all that highly gifted, so the peer group is mixed (apparently, CTY admits qualified-score kids first but then just fills slots). So the peer group isn't composed of serious intellectual kids necessarily.

But my dd has had an amazing experience doing Shakespeare in Orlando (Orlando Shakespeare Theater) and elsewhere -- these serious Shakespeare camps self-select a really good (and gifted) crowd of kids, and not all that many "my parents are making me" kind of kids. Ditto high-level classical music camps -- lots of gifties, but united by a special skill not just IQ.

GF2 - did your kid(s) do the CTY Intensive Studies, or CTY Academic Explorations (or something else)? The Academic Explorations and Intensive Studies camps have very different eligibility scores.

My DD14 did a Neuroscience class in the Intensive Studies program and had a blast. She also felt like she was surrounded by lots of gifted kids. Perhaps the neuroscience course, with its extra prerequisites, biased her sample, but she seemed impressed with the camp as a whole.

She enjoyed it so much, she'll be going back this summer.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    T
    T
    Has anyone here tried

http://www.giftedstudy.org/pdf/brochures/2015_catalog_day.pdf?

A friend of mine told me about this one. It is very expensive and I did not think it was worth it for my 6 year old. But wondering whether anyone here has done it?

P
    P
    Originally Posted by SFrog
    GF2 - did your kid(s) do the CTY Intensive Studies, or CTY Academic Explorations (or something else)? The Academic Explorations and Intensive Studies camps have very different eligibility scores.
    --S.F.

Ditto. My ds also really enjoyed the CTY Intensive Studies camp he attended, a science course that's not offered through our local high school program.

FWIW, we've also had some good luck with non-gifted camps. DS really enjoyed summer camp at our local state university. Even though there were no admissions requirements other than a "good" grade point average, the nature of the camp (high level science) attracted only seriously interested students.

When my kids were younger they really enjoyed outdoors camps and camps at our local museum, even though they weren't limited to gifted kids - so I wouldn't limit my search based on gifted alone.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM