Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    If you look at the college board web site. You can see that while you can take AB one year, and BC the next year. You can't take both tests in the same year. And BC is designed as a one year course. All the schools that I know of teach this as an either or option. That doesn't mean is HAS to.
    http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/8031.html

It's been a few years, but I can confirm that when I took them in the 80's, Calculus AB and Calculus BC were two separate year-long courses. At my high school, you weren't allowed to take BC without having taken AB first. The pace was excruciatingly slow for me. But I did get 5s on both tests.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    If you look at the college board web site. You can see that while you can take AB one year, and BC the next year. You can't take both tests in the same year. And BC is designed as a one year course. All the schools that I know of teach this as an either or option. That doesn't mean is HAS to.
    http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/8031.html

It's been a few years, but I can confirm that when I took them in the 80's, Calculus AB and Calculus BC were two separate year-long courses. At my high school, you weren't allowed to take BC without having taken AB first. The pace was excruciatingly slow for me. But I did get 5s on both tests.
    This is not what is written on the AP board. While I didn't take either (as I went to college a year early instead.) When I was in H.S. in the 80's AB and BC were two different option, you took one OR the other. Clearly they can be taught that way..

From the wikapida page on AP Calculus
    The College Board intentionally schedules the AP Calculus AB exam at the same time as the AP Calculus BC exam in order to make it impossible for a student to take both tests in the same academic year, though the College Board does not make Calculus AB a pre-requisite class for Calculus BC. Some schools do this, though many others only require precalculus as a prerequisite for Calculus BC.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM