Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Where do you draw the line if your DC wants to participate in too many and/or too high level competitions?

I am talking about math competitions in particular but the question applies to other types of competitions as well. By "too high level," I am talking about competitions where your DC can likely manage to score respectably (say, top quarter or even top 10%) but not at the awards level. DS11 has expressed interest in participating in a number of local/regional high school level math competitions in addition to AMC10, in which he will participate again this year. My initial plan would have been to wait until he is actually competitive so he has a real shot at the prizes or a year or two prior. However, I have agreed to one local one for next fall due to the significant prizes attached and the idea that practice/experience can be helpful down the road. Now there are other ones, including one next month that we will need to decide soon.

I
    I
    My 2 cents: Go for it.

If a kiddo enjoys math competitions (or wants to try them to see if he'd like them), I'd focus on the positive benefits of the experience and caution against being overly concerned about awards and prizes.

Carol Dweck's Mindset encourages praising effort, talking up the fun of the mental challenge worthy of one's potential, encouraging a growth mindset.

One aspect or application of a fixed mindset is that gifted kids, in order to be seen as "right" or "smart", may stop taking appropriate risks, possibly shunning a challenge and preferring easy work which may represent a level of underachievement. A fixed mindset may work against them and be exhibited as a lack of resilience.

E
    E
    I agree with indigo. It's great for him to take on difficult challenges, instead of only the ones you know he can win.

In addition, I remember I used to get so outraged at my mother planning for what to do if I failed. In fact, I'm not sure I ever did really fail, but it drove me nuts that I would try a competition or something and all she could think about was how I would react if I didn't do as well as I wanted to. Don't set him up with unreasonable expectations, but don't tell him he can't do well at high-level competition, either. He might surprise you.

Last edited by ElizabethN; 01/26/15 10:17 PM. Reason: typo
    B
    B
    I can't see anything against him taking the AMC10 if he wants? There doesn't seem to be any rules of how many times you can take the test, you just have to be at most a 10th grade student. I am sure practice helps at taking tests like this.

What about the AMC8? (What is his grade level?) Has he done that already? I assume he is looking at the AMC10 because he already has algebra & geometry behind him? (OK.. I just re-read your message.. he has already done the ACM10.. for get this.)

I would take it on a case by case basis. I guess the trick is you don't want him to burn out or get discouraged if he tries them too early. But if he is excited and willing and doesn't get in the way of other activities I see nothing wrong with letting him participate. I would just make sure he knows before going in that he is competing against much older students.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/26/15 09:30 PM.
    A
    A
    If he wants to do it, then why not? Life is not all about awards. My son understands that the experience of learning and acquiring knowledge is its own reward. Prizes are nice, but not essential. It's a good life lesson to learn how to lose gracefully too.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    ...but it drove me nuts that I would try a competition or something and all she could think about was how I would react if I didn't do as well as I wanted to. Don't set him up with unreasonable expectations, but don't tell him he can't do well at high-level competition, either. He might surprise you.

My goodness, I am your mother. blush

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    In our house DD wanting to enter a competition where she wasn't sure of winning would be cause for celebration! We'd be thrilled and encourage her to do her best and go for it. And whether she kicked butt or lost with style, we would be so happy and proud.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Where do you draw the line if your DC wants to participate in too many and/or too high level competitions?

I would only draw the line based on what we can afford in expense as a family, or based on what my children can afford in time away from other things. OTOH, we don't look at the purpose of the competitions as going for the gold - my kids like to compete to be challenged. Life would be a bit boring if you only entered a competition when you knew you would win, wouldn't it?

I realize my family's mindset isn't lock-step with a lot of folks - we knock heads on this a lot with my dd who is involved in competitive individual athletics - she wants to compete at the level where she's challenged, her coaches want her to compete at the level where she'll never miss a beat and will always place high. The coaches see sport as being all about the win, and dd quite simply could care less about getting first place. It's fun for her for about 30 seconds when she is in the process of having her name called for the award, but then it's over. She's much happier coming in middle of the road or even absolute last if it means she's able to compete at a level where she feels challenged, and I'm a-ok with that.

polarbear

C
    C
    What they all say. Also, for an annual competition they'll have the chance to enter again, my feeling is that the award will be more valuable when it comes, if it comes after earlier experience of not being at that level. If you only ever do things you'll ace, it's hard to have a sense of progress.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    U
    U
    I would not disallow this due to worry about the child being bothered by not winning. I would just explain that the competition will be stiff. Research suggests that kids are generally a lot less invested in winning than we think, and have other reasons for competing.

However, the stress and expense for the family are certainly a factor. We're dealing with this issue with chess and my DS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM