Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Tomorrow is DD9's first day of 5th grade after a grade acceleration. She had SSA math so is already familiar with the math teacher. Her reading and science teachers will be new. DD is very excited, and her big sister, herself a 5th grader, hugged DD and exclaimed that she was so happy that DD was moving into 5th grade (shocked me!!!!).
    So, what I would love is some practical advice, wisdom, BTDT, for AFTER the grade skip. What shall we watch for? What might I not be aware of? I want to set up a meeting with the 2 new teachers because DD does have ADHD, inattentive type, and I want them to be on the look out for her "doodling", as DD calls it. DD does have a 504 by the way. Do I set this up immediately or wait a week or so?
    Thanks!!!! Couldn't have done it without all of you!!!!

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I think get in early is best. We used to wait for the 'let the teacher get to know her' period and always regretted it. We found the sooner the better for teacher meetings. Things can move slowly at school and it can take teachers a while to get to know kids.

My DD just started her first day of the new year and its a grade skip. Watching for over excitement and excess stimulation followed by fatigue and exhaustion. We make sure DD is fed and watered fast after school. Maybe take both kids out for afternoon tea or have a special one at home.

Just texted DD and mostly the day is going ok but a couple of unexpected hitches. She is coping. Expecting collapse on couch with a headache later from coping with the load. Early to bed for sure.

Congratulations. I hope the way is smooth. It's usually better than you think but there are usually ups and downs at school grade skip or no so don't worry if there are bumps. Well done to older sister for being supportive. Kudos to her.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Thinking of you today. Hope all goes/went well for everyone.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    ndw - thank you so much for posting! Both DD10 and DD9 (one who moved to 5th) were so thrilled today. They came home practically bursting with excitement. DD9 is already friends with 2 of the girls in her class so that was an added bonus. In addition, she will be in an elective with 2 of her friends from her previous class. I know that we have work to do to fill in the gaps, but today was a very good day!!

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Wonderful news! Take a bow and a deep breath and revel in the joy. Sounds like it is a great start which bodes very well for the future. It's always so good to hear success stories.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM