Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Hi all,

We started DS (4.5) in kindergarten this year. We're lucky enough to live in a state that has a process for early entry K.

However, we're concerned that he's just not socially and emotionally ready, and we're wondering if we should hold him back so that he starts kindergarten next year with his age cohort. We'd hate to make him sit through all of the phonics and counting again, but we are seeing a lot of behavioral issues at home that didn't exist before school (including toileting issues). He also has a really hard time separating from us. It wasn't until this month that I could drop him off without someone holding his hand, hugging him, or otherwise physically leading him away, usually while he was crying. Day care was the same way.

He says he hates school. He also hated his day care and until recently has vehemently not wanted to go back. He says he only wants to stay home with DH and I, which is not an option. In the last two weeks, he has said he just wants to play all day at day care. How can we say no to that? The kid's only four, and he's a young 4--won't turn 5 until March. The only feasibly day care option will not engage his mind, but it will allow him to play much of the day.

He doesn't really have close friends at school, although he did in day care. He says he hates everyone in his current class. We've been working with the principal, the guidance counselor, and the school psychologist to try to figure out how to help. None of them see any behavioral or social problems at school. Somehow, when he's there, he's a normal, happy, does-as-he's-asked kid. The psychologist honestly had no idea he was only 4 until we told her; she thought he was just like all the other 5 year olds.

He does get pulled out one to two times a day for gifted instruction with another small group of kids, and he really likes his gifted teacher.

We're looking at other schools for next year, but most of the options around here are run by lottery, so the odds of getting in as a first-grader are near zero. We are considering paying for a new private gifted school that is starting, but the cost of attendance is a big barrier (about $12k/year).

We have no idea what to do. His FSIQ is 148 and his achievement test is similarly high. Making him re-do kindergarten seems...cruel. But so does forcing him to go to a school that he hates where he has no friends. Emotionally, he's very cuddly, and he likes his teachers to be warm and fuzzy. His current teacher is not, and he says he hates her, too. I asked about switching teachers, but the principal is reluctant to do so (understandably).

I'm sure that many of you have faced this conflict between emotional and cognitive needs. How do you muddle through? Right now we feel like we're choosing the least worst option, but that doesn't give us much solace.

Has anyone held back a kid who did early entry kindergarten? If we did hold him back, he would go to a different school. So there wouldn't be questions from his peers. I know the research on holding back in general paints it as a bad option, but this feels slightly different.

Please help! I'd love to hear from anyone who's been in a similar situation. Did you tough it out? Hold your kid back? Something else?

C
    C
    We went the gifted private route at 4. Yes it is expensive. Yes it is a long pain in the neck commute. But it also solved so many problems in one fell swoop.

We did try a very small amount of private kindergarten at my son's old preschool. It was not a great fit and the private school works way better.

The teachers are used to quirky gifted kids, and the kids have an instant peer group. If you can swing it I think the private school may be worth it.

Last edited by cmguy; 01/26/15 12:42 PM.
    My DD was not early-entered into K, but she did exhibit some of the same behaviors. She hated school, and said she had no friends there. The latter was confirmed by school staff, who described her as quiet and compliant. We knew our DD as compliant, but quiet is only in character for her in new situations, as she's somewhat guarded, but she should have come out of her shell at some point within the first several weeks. DD was also having meltdowns at home.

In her case, the problem was that the instructional time involved materials which were significantly beneath her. She was bored, frustrated, but also trying to fit in. The tension between seeking to conform and seeking something to learn was wearing her out, and causing all of her social and emotional problems.

In that situation, holding her back another year would have been a disastrous move, as it would have only made the problem worse. What she needed to eventually solve the problem was the opposite: a grade skip. Until we got one, we homeschooled our DD, and saw improvements almost immediately.

I gather from your description that homeschooling is not an option. An alternative may be to go ahead and pull him out, send him to the fun daycare he loved, and then send him back to school next year... in first grade.

Some things really stand out to me in your post, Helianthus:

says he hates school. He also hated his day care and until recently has vehemently not wanted to go back

Is he, just personality-wise, a kid that has a lot of trouble with changes? With unpredictable environments? (My own DD was definitely that way until she was-- er-- well, never mind. She is still a bit this way at 15, and is irked beyond words that a student from another section took her regular seat during a math midterm last week. )

doesn't really have close friends at school, although he did in day care

How long was he in the same daycare setting, anyway? (see above-- it often is a long, and painfully slow process for my own DD to feel as though she is accepted and comfortable, and she's quiet and compliant, but not happy, until that happens)

None of them see any behavioral or social problems at school. Somehow, when he's there, he's a normal, happy, does-as-he's-asked kid

They said that he's happy? Bit of a mismatch from what you are seeing, isn't it? That's the root of the issue right there-- and I'd NOT be quick to assume that this is a matter of the environment not being suitable, since you've also seen it before (daycare). This may be a matter of having a child that struggles with adjustment issues-- or a child that prefers mom and dad to ANY other setting, and is willing to do whatever it takes to get more of what he wants in that respect (your attention/time).

he really likes his gifted teacher

Emotionally, he's very cuddly, and he likes his teachers to be warm and fuzzy. His current teacher is not, and he says he hates her, too.

Okay-- thinking that this is probably a matter which is in some ways exacerbating the underlying problem. My hypothesis is that you have a little boy who doesn't like change, doesn't like unpredictability, and likes his surroundings to be warm and affectionate toward him. In other words, his ideal is probably HOME and YOU.

That said, the contrast between home (pleasant and exactly as he likes his environment in this respect) and the current gifted teacher (also MUCH more to his tastes than the regular teacher), coupled with the cognitive needs at work-- that is probably leading to an even more extreme (and negative) perception in his mind re: his school setting in the regular K classroom.

How is his adjustment in general? Slow? It sounds so from your description of how much he dislikes separation from you.

If so, I'd just warmly accept what he says, and offer sympathy, but not take it too seriously. Just listen and let him know that you hear him, and that this is a hard thing for him. Obviously not if you have reasons to think that there is something specific underlying his emotional response-- of course. Some kids just have to work on their ability to be in new social settings and to warm up to their surroundings.

Frankly, the fact that he is being given GT enrichment twice DAILY is astonishing in K-- around here, that'd be absolutely unheard-of. I don't see what you could do which would be better for him, truly.

One of the reasons why we placed DD into a school at 6yo (rather than continue to homeschool) was that we saw a real need for her to gain the ability to adjust to different teaching and interpersonal styles. She was manipulative, honestly. If you have a kid that struggles some that way (and if so, you have my sympathies, because my own DD is this way, too)-- he probably needs all the practice he can get throughout childhood.

The fact that YOU are the only ones hearing/seeing this from him is at least possibly a warning flag to me that he may behaving in a (slightly) manipulative fashion, knowing that you will feel badly for his distress and respond with making him more comfortable. Whether that is a good idea depends upon whether or not this is really something that has growth potential for him. In a case like Dude's DD, it didn't, and therefore removal from the setting was the right thing to do.

In a case like my DD's, not-so-much. Rescuing her would have just taught her learned helplessness and that discomfort derived only from external sources and was cause for alarm. It also would have reinforced her tendencies to manipulate us.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Helianthus, DD5 is grade-skipped and before the skip, she too was exhibiting some of the behavior issues you mention and only at home. Here are some ideas that I am hoping can help you.
    1. Is K mandatory in your state? If yes, is it part-time or full-time? If not mandatory or only P/t is required, maybe you could keep him in school for K for half day and either keep him at home (with a parent or another care giver). I did this-DD was in school for only 3.5 days and stayed home with me for 1.5 days. I had to cut my hours at work so there was a financial loss, but it was totally worth it.
    2. Is the workload, especially writing, too much at K level and is this causing your child to not like school? If yes, maybe you can talk to the teacher and reduce mind-numbing writing work. DD had this issue and the teachers accommodated and lo and behold, now writing is her hobby. She just needed time.
    3. When child is in good mood at home, sit down and try to ask him what is bothering him about school and what he likes about school. Ask him what would his ideal school look like. Even though he is barely 5, you will be surprised at how good these kids are at solving their own problems. Again, this technique worked for me so hoping it does for you too.
    4. If there are any mixed-age, mixed-grade play based schools in your area,I would look into it as an option for this year and next. DD is at such a school and very content both because she has a wide variety or ages/maturity levels to find friends within and her academic needs are being met suitably.
    Finally, if your kid is 2-3 years above grade level, I think grade skip is a good way to at least meet some of their needs. So, IMHO, undoing the skip does not seem like a good option.
    All the best with your decision!

I
    I
    You've received great advice above. I'll just add that the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) helps place a lot of issues on the table for discussion, which may not otherwise be considered.

Additionally, the landmark work on acceleration A Nation Deceived, which has served well for a decade, is now updated: A Nation Empowered. Web seminar (webinar) January 29, 2015.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by Dude
    In her case, the problem was that the instructional time involved materials which were significantly beneath her. She was bored, frustrated, but also trying to fit in. The tension between seeking to conform and seeking something to learn was wearing her out, and causing all of her social and emotional problems.

Dude, thanks for sharing this. I suspect this is part of the problem, and we have a meeting with the whole team (psychologist, principal, teachers) in a few weeks to chart a new course for him academically. I know a lot of the literacy work bores him (he's reading at a 1st/2nd grade level).

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Is he, just personality-wise, a kid that has a lot of trouble with changes? With unpredictable environments?

Yes, that's him exactly. I think you nailed it. His ideal is home and us, and that's just not in the cards right now. Our worry is that hating school now could lead to longer-term problems with school or peers.

To answer your questions, he was in day care for 1.5 years. Over that time he was in three separate classrooms. He liked the first one moderately, loved the second one (it was warm and cuddly) and LOATHED the third one. That was part of why we put him into early kindergarten--it's not like he was enjoying day care.

His adjustment to anything is slow, particularly if that thing happens to be loud (like school). We went to a birthday party at a trampoline place, and it took him a full 40 minutes to warm up and start jumping. Lots of things go like this.

The people at school have seen how shy and slow to warm up he can be, but they also see him interacting normally with his peers. (And in one case, letting the principal know she was changing the paper towels incorrectly!) "Happy" may have been an overstatement, but no one sees the anger and tantrums that we see. His teachers (regular and gifted) were both shocked when we described how he feels about school and the behaviors we see at home.

HK, you've given me some hope that this year will actually be good for him. We've also talked with a social worker who suggested that he might be manipulative (even if not in the way we normally think of adults being manipulative). It's certainly a possibility, but he seems to feel his emotions so strongly that it's hard to believe it's all manipulation.

mon, we've tried to walk him through his school day, but it's hard to get straight answers. Most of the time we get broad brushstrokes (it's boring, I hate it) or flat-out lies (I never go to the library or gym or art or computer class. Never ever). We've not been able to make much sense of his reports of his days at school.

Originally Posted by master_of_none
    Teach him to embrace his emotions and "use them for good" rather than to make himself miserable. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Any suggestions for how to do this? When he's happy and bouncing around, we can help him channel that, but when he's angry and throwing things or slamming his door or refusing to come out of his room, it's hard to reach him.

Thanks to all of you. You've made me feel much better about having him in kindergarten and not undoing the grade skip.

Thank you. I'm a long-time lurker here, and I'm so grateful for the helpfulness of this community.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    1. Is K mandatory in your state? If yes, is it part-time or full-time? If not mandatory or only P/t is required, maybe you could keep him in school for K for half day and either keep him at home (with a parent or another care giver). I did this-DD was in school for only 3.5 days and stayed home with me for 1.5 days. I had to cut my hours at work so there was a financial loss, but it was totally worth it.
    2. Is the workload, especially writing, too much at K level and is this causing your child to not like school? If yes, maybe you can talk to the teacher and reduce mind-numbing writing work. DD had this issue and the teachers accommodated and lo and behold, now writing is her hobby. She just needed time.
    3. When child is in good mood at home, sit down and try to ask him what is bothering him about school and what he likes about school. Ask him what would his ideal school look like. Even though he is barely 5, you will be surprised at how good these kids are at solving their own problems. Again, this technique worked for me so hoping it does for you too.
    4. If there are any mixed-age, mixed-grade play based schools in your area,I would look into it as an option for this year and next. DD is at such a school and very content both because she has a wide variety or ages/maturity levels to find friends within and her academic needs are being met suitably.
    Finally, if your kid is 2-3 years above grade level, I think grade skip is a good way to at least meet some of their needs. So, IMHO, undoing the skip does not seem like a good option.
    All the best with your decision!

Thanks for the questions and advice! K is not mandatory (I believe you don't have to be in school until age 7), but DH and I both work (and cutting back isn't an option given what we do) and there is no extended family around to help out.

I've been surprised at the emphasis on writing, which his teacher insists is just not developmentally appropriate. But our state adopted Common Core, so she's stuck teaching writing. We can ask about easing up on it; I think that may be a good idea. But I've also heard that first grade is writing-intensive, so I'm not sure if it would help him long-term or not.

His teachers commented that he was visibly towards the end of the day, so now they're offering him a 20-minute rest (in a cozy corner in the gifted teacher's room; he can choose to read if he wants). Not sure yet if that's helping, but we'll hear from the teachers in a few weeks.

We've definitely tried #3. Mostly I get answers like, "I want to send all my friends [classmates] in a rocket to the moon and never see them again." Or "The only thing that would make school better is having you there all day." (So yes, HK nailed it on that one.)

For #4, we are looking at a Montessori nearby. There are a few that are free (charter schools), and one that would be roughly as expensive as the gifted school.

It's so hard to know! Someone tell me my kid will be okay and I'm not damaging him for life by making him go to kindergarten. (Okay, that sounds ridiculous, I know! But I do worry.)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We had similar issues with one of ours, in an academic K4 (though the peer social situation was a bit better). It turned out that part of the issue was temperamental (just wanted to be home with parents), part of it was the schedule (too early, and too long a day), and part of it was the child's expectations. Presented as "school", (vs day care) there was this assumption that there would be learning involved. When there wasn't, there was deep disappointment.

It didn't help that older sib's idea of "preparing for preschool" the summer immediately previous consisted of high-interest, positive-reinforcement-loaded, fast-paced, individual instruction in first-grade reading and math, which was so well received that I had to chase them to bed at 8:30 at night, after literally hours of "playing school".

It took us quite a bit of the school year, and many conversations and observations, to figure out that these were some of the issues. The school didn't see any of it, because the little rule-following, people-pleasing person was very careful to precisely meet every expectation there.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Since it's also been suggested by another person who knows your child and your situation, I'm going to make a book recommendation, Helianthus. This is one of the BEST parenting books (especially for gifted children, IMO) with one of the most horrid titles. Trust me-- ignore the title and read with an open mind. The reason why I believe that pro-social, chameleon-like children need this kind of mindful parenting more than any other kind of child is that they are innately SO good at manipulating people to meet their needs and desires, and often fail to learn to meet their OWN needs assertively.

The Manipulative Child.

That one book is a stand-out for me personally. I found that most parenting books were useless or worse in parenting a highly asynchronous kid. But this one was pure gold. DD was an expert at drawing us into her personal drama at 2-4yo, and while no, she wasn't exactly a sociopath, she WAS doing it to meet her own needs. She was so good at it that it was quite concerning to us that it was coming to dominate her interpersonal style, in fact.

She still tends to show people what they want to see from her. But she can be assertive and not manipulative now.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM