Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    I'm one of those poster kids for undiagnosed gifted girls I think. I am not sure what my log is/was, but I know that I scored in the top 5 (not percent) in the country (Australia) in a test they give all year 7's. I was always in the top group for everything but because I went to 6 primary schools I never got the basics of maths so pretty much failed math all the way through and thought I was terrible at it. I'm now doing some self directed study in astro physics so maybe not so bad at math after all?
    I always felt a fraud and I pretty much just showed up for high school and barely scraped through with a score suitable for a bottom rate university entrance. Because I didn't put in any effort I was never offered or put forward for the "smart kid stuff" which I think only exacerbated the feelings of fraud. Anyway I eventually transferred to a top rate uni, got a very interesting degree in political science and subsequentially never worked a day in my chosen field (ARGGH) I did eventually sit our states public service exam - I believe it takes 3 hours? I'm not sure but I did it in an hour and I may have been under the influence of something green at the time, turns out I scored above the 99.99% yay me, was headhunted by the military which would have been fab, but eventually decided that I would rather travel and settled down into a nice lovely life with the kiddos.

I think I tested DD4 so young because although I have reached a point myself where I am content with my lot, I would hate for her to go through the low self esteem etc that I went through. My estranged father turned out to be a powerful lobbyist, my mother is one of those people who has no common sense what so ever (note the 6 primary schools above) yet can recall any fact ever known to man (plus a few she makes up on a regular basis). My sister followed a similar path to me but has now worked her way into a high level project management career.

So yes I do believe it is genetic, but if the parents aren't switched on, or are distracted by divorce like mine, or have low self esteem/issues related to gt then I believe generations can not realise their potential.

Anyway I sound like a total whinger, and yes I did have to swallow some bitter pills, but I do firmly believe that intrinsic motivation is what determines your success not your upbringing, sadly I have been very lacking that department! onward and upwards though!!! lifes not all bad :-)

M
    M
    It' interesting to read everyone's family history

My father's family has produced many MDs and Ph.Ds. I am almost certain that my father is 2e. His sister was probably PG. My father said she was the only one he ever encountered growing up who was clearly smarter than him. She scored perfect marks on her college entrance exam but her father refused to allow her to go to college. I hate to say this but her children (2 girls and 1 boy) weren't very smart. My siblings also struggled at school too.

SO comes from a family of engineers and musicians. I think one of his great aunts was the first female engineer in her country.

The funny part is, when I was expecting DD, SO and I used to argue about the pros and cons of retention. The idea that our unborn child might be bright or talented never crossed our mind. I don't think of us as being all that smart.

P
    P
    My Kids are both HG+ but I don't think I am. I was bright at primary but bored rigid and eventually switched off. I am also not good with authority and inclined to be blunter than I should be because I don't know how to go about it properly and can't be bothered anyway.
    Gifted doesn't really exist here and kids were never told how the did in the annual national tests so I really don't know. I could be poster child for how to wreck an HG kid or I could be 2e but MG. The boys dad is probably HG+ but he wouldn't have been tested either.

Or I could be where I thought my kids were - sort of 115 to 125.

Last edited by puffin; 01/26/15 01:35 AM.
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Puffin that's how I was. I was in honor programs but that doesn't mean gifted but oh man I had issues with authority lol I was a horrible teenager.

N
    N
    Both my half-brother and I (same dad) are MG. My paternal uncle also has two academically gifted children and my paternal aunt has two academically average but artistically gifted children.

My maternal grandfather could make a house out of a toothpick and a piece of string cheese. Academics were not his thing but he can think up anything in his mind and then build it. He drew his own house plans and executed them with only a high school education. His sister was an award winning artist.

Hubby's parents seem above average and they produced DH (PG), middle BIL (no idea on this one) and younger BIL who is a successful professional musician.

I'll be interested to see what DS is like as he grows up. DH can sneeze and learn a new language and DS is extremely verbal at his young age. DH's PhD is in humanities and mine is in STEM so maybe eventually we can tell who's brain contributed what to DS.

D
    D
    I am not gifted, I would put my IQ around 120. Bright.

My children are both gifted.

E
    E
    My tested IQ in elementary school was in the PG range, although I feel barely average after surviving the preschool years of two kids. I think DH is probably HG.

U
    U
    We had the same experience with a very experienced pediatrician commenting on DD when she was a tiny baby. At the time, I was weirded out by it because she was a tiny baby.

I tested as gifted, but with a very uneven profile. DH has never been tested (his schools had no gifted services), but his GRE scores qualify him for any high IQ society out there, though I'd consider that a rough measure myself.

U
    U
    My father is obviously (to me) PG. He's an insane autodidact who knows everything about everything (he can fix your car, plumb your house, teach you physics, lecture on the fall of Rome, and recite romantic poets at length at the drop of a hat) and has published articles in journals in fields not even his own. Unfortunately, his gifts and feelings of being misunderstood probably contributed to some of his issues. So, those genes are out there in the family.

R
    R
    DH and I are both probably gifted. We both had high SAT scores and were always the 'smart' kids in class and had good scholarships to college. I was tested with a 145 IQ when I was like 6 but I have no idea how accurate that might be. I have a PhD in Neuroscience but currently stay home with my son. DH tested out of all the math possible and used to program his calculator to do calculus; he's a great software engineer and has been programming in some shape or form for basically his whole life. DH has an amazing memory, while I think I'm better with general figuring things out types of thinking. My long-term memory kind of stinks. Both my DH and I are the 'smartest' kids in our families but the other siblings are intelligent as well.

I think I inherited most of my intelligence from my dad's side of the family - they have a ton of brilliant people who unfortunately also struggle with drug and alcohol addiction (probably depression?). They have that spark of curiosity about things though, and most of them read deeply and have strong artistic/creative traits. My dad escaped the worst of the environment and I think he's totally brilliant although he didn't finish college. He's well-respected in his field (deep-sea oil exploration), reads and learns outside of work and is just overall impressive to me, especially considering his background. My mom is also quite smart and had good grades in school, etc. Both of my parents grew up in impoverished backgrounds.

So far my DS (who is only 3.5) reminds me a lot of my husband. He's got the crazy memory (which is so far directed towards learning car makes and models) but shows less interest in reading than I evidently showed at his age. Right now the plan is to try to keep him age-matched with peers so that he can get along socially but we'll see how that goes.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM