Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 144 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #206177 11/21/14 08:55 AM
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Anyone from Arizona here? What school or program are your children enrolled in?

Cola #206291 11/22/14 01:07 PM
    M
    M
    Hi Cola,
    We're in AZ, DS6, PG, Phoenix SE valley area. I've toured 3 schools in the last week. PV looks to have the best possible program for a PG kid, but the drive (30 miles each way) is discouraging. Really thinking about that for next fall.

Still have some concerns with PV too. Must be well behaved and motivated to get in, but that's hard to obtain when previous environment was a poor fit and difficult behaviors arose from that. Chicken, meet egg.

Have also considered Madison Reach, chandler Knox, and Herberger (still too young). Herberger looks great.

Have noticed that Tempe, Scottsdale and Gilbert districts don't appear to offer self-contained gifted, so have written those off. Seeking a program offering 2 or more years acceleration in self-contained environment.

We started in a local school's gifted program this past fall, but quickly withdrew after they couldn't deal with emotional intensities and did not seem to offer any challenge in their curriculum. It was a repeat of K that he did at a small private school. Homeschooling now but struggling to balance with work.

PM me for more details on what didn't work.

Cola #209579 01/24/15 12:00 PM
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Anyone else in Arizona?

Cola #229254 04/07/16 04:09 PM
    E
    E
    Hi Cola, I live in Mesa and my 1st grader daughter who is in a A rating Mesa Public school currently was offered a spot at self-contained gifted program at Kyrene Monte Vista or Kyrene de la Mirada for next year when she starts 2nd grade. I found out that Knox in chandler has very high test scores and I am getting now confused where I should move. I I would move to Phoenix or Chandler or PV if it is better for my child. Any advise will help, please.

Last edited by Mark D.; 04/15/16 04:43 PM. Reason: identifiable info
    Cola #229596 04/15/16 12:13 PM
    J
    J
    Hi, I'm located in Phoenix and my younger kids currently go to Sahuaro Elementary in the Washington district. (2nd and 5th graders) They are in a separate program for the triple gifted called MAP? My older son goes to Cholla Middle school and is enrolled in the Flex program which is their version of gifted.

I'm lucky that while we are not within the boundaries for these particular schools, we are close and the drive is only about 10 minutes.

My older son will be moving onto our local high school next year and will be enrolled in the advanced AP classes they offer, as they do not specifically cater to "gifted" students within the high school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM