Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 86 of 131 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 130 131
    M
    M
    I've been converted. We've been binge watching My Little Ponies.

Now that I know who is who, I asked DD4 which pony she is most like and she gave me an interesting answer:

DD: I am a little bit like all the ponies. I can be fun loving like Pinkie Pie but I can also be quite shy like Flutter Shy. I can be bossy like Rainbow Dash but I can also be thoughtful like Applejack. I can be a fashionista like Rarity. I like reading books like Twilight Sparkle. I am a real human, not a pretend pony, so I am more than just a character but if I were to pick one, it'd be Princess Luna.

Me: But she used to be so evil and power hungry.

DD: I know but that doesn't matter. She raises the moon. I want to have the same power.

I don't think she has been reading anything on Jungian archetypes but she seems to be getting close to developing her own theory based on MLP.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I've been converted. We've been binge watching My Little Ponies.

I don't think she has been reading anything on Jungian archetypes but she seems to be getting close to developing her own theory based on MLP.
    Mana, it's a slippery slope wink

Tonight, DS4 lost DH's fitbit.

DH: DS, you have to help me find it.

(After DH has searched in vain for 10 min, he finds DS lounging on the floor reading a book while looking at a human body poster)

DH: WHY aren't you helping me look for the fitbit?!?

DS: I AM looking for it...just in really odd places.

M
    M
    EmeraldCity, did your DS truly misplace the fitbit or did he hide it on purpose? My DD hides things and enjoys making us look for them. This was cute when she was 18 months old but these days, it makes me really really frustrated.

U
    U
    DD has always been fascinated with time--she asked me where it came from around age 3 and has used as an answer in 20 questions (my kids are known for their impossible targets in 20 Questions). That doesn't sound unlike something she would say. She also has always asked a lot of wild questions about the universe that make everyone's heads hurt.

OP Offline
    EmeraldCity, that response is delightful.

Of course, it wouldn't have been to the frustrated parent, I am sure-- I can remember wildly arguing with my spouse when DD was about 2yo-- he was CERTAIN that it was irrationally outside of all expectation for me to lean on our toddler-aged DD over a missing library book.

I can remember turning to him and saying "You just watch-- she knows where things are."

Sure enough, once I had fully emphasized the importance of finding the book, it took her less than 90s to go up the stairs, and return with it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Not really quirky, but it was too adorable not to post. While snuggling DS3 to sleep, he came out with this line:

"Mama, you take good, good, good, good, good care of me. You're an excellent Mama. You snuggle me when I need hugs, you make me warm when I'm cold, you are so comfortable. I love you. You do a really good job and you work hard to be a good Mama."

I am officially on cloud nine. No praise could be better!

I just unlatched him from nursing and, in his sleep he said, "You're so good." Awww!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    Awwww - that's lovely!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    So lovely, on so many levels!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Our asynchronous games night -

My DS just turned 7. He received a few games as gifts, so last night we sat down to try them.

He first picked a card game I had purchased called "Moose in the House" thinking it was humourous and he would enjoy it (each player has a 'house' and you try to put a moose in other people's houses). We opened it and I read out the rules - you can block the rooms with doors to keep out the moose, or use a 'Moose trap' card to try to get rid of a moose in your house.

As soon as he saw the 'moose trap' card he no longer wanted to play. He said he would feel too sad for the moose!?!

Then we opened a fancy domino game that was set up with a train track. I happened to push the button and it triggered a very loud train sound! OK - that was it for that game, even though I removed the batteries.

Lastly we opened a Tetris game - he enjoyed this one, and used his plastic pieces to create a complex symmetrical shape in between turns. However the game ended when he decided to try to lose as many points as he could, thus blocking the other players.

Hoping we get to at least play the Tetris one again - it was fun for a while...

E
    E
    What a shame - but it does sound cute. :-) Just curious - is the "Tetris" game Blokus? That is really fun, although it's best with four players.

We lost our copy of Moose in the House at some point, which makes me sad, because I loved the silly pictures of the moose in the different rooms. I can tell you that it would play just fine without the moose trap cards, if you want to try that. It's an entirely luck-based game, though, that may be a little below the mark for a gifted seven-year-old. This article has some good choices, and there is a long thread pinned in the Recommended Resources thread that talks about games.

Page 86 of 131 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM