Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 88 of 131 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 130 131
    M
    M
    My DD has several toobs of plastic animals. Lately, she has benn taking bath with the insec set with a roach, a fly, and a centipede. She lines them all up on the tub and has some kind of narrative going on.

Isnt that a little too weird?

C
    C
    Mana, that sounds totally normal to me! :-)

U
    U
    Ivy, that sounds soooo much like something my DD11 would say.

As to weird animals in the tub, that has been our life for years! smile

Mana,

If it makes you feel any less weird my DD10 was having her own cuddly toy Oscar awards show last night LOL

Become what you are
    C
    C
    Suevv - that's sweet!

Ivy - I can see my DS saying something similar.

Re: careers - we were discussing this topic at dinner last night. DS7 said he couldn't think of what he wants to be, because he couldn't think of an easy enough job - because he doesn't want to work hard! He said he wanted something 'easy' like a letter-carrier (which to me sounds like a lot of hard physical work - but anyway...).

So I told him that if he found a job where he was doing something he enjoys it wouldn't seem like hard work. Then DD10 said "like, you could be a mathematician"! DS asked what that was and she said "You solve hard math problems all day".

DS: "Wow - that's like a real job? That's what I'll do then. Either that or a grade 3 math teacher - because I like grade 3 math!" (He's in grade 1).

M
    M
    I don't know why but I find it more than just odd or peculiar. I forgot to mention that she keeps her creepy plastic bugs in her Frozen treasure box along with valentine day cards her friends gave her. She makes so little sense to me sometimes but it's comforting to know that she isn't the only one around here with weird...habits.

M
    M
    mana my dd does the same thing. I forget NT girls tend not to do that. She has a colony of caterpillars in the back yard and makes sure to greet the daddy long legs every morning - god forbid we kill them. She hates flys though, apparently they serve no purpose and are dirty yucky things, and as we have antibiotics now it's irrelevant that the maggots can be used to clean wounds. right......

A
    A
    DS3 is playing "construction" with two construction worker action figures, trucks, pattern blocks, and construction signs/barricades.

DS acts out construction worker 1 dreaming that the signs are animated and walking all over him while construction worker 2 sits by, oblivious. I ask what is happening and he says, "Construction worker 1 is having a nightmare."

He then acts out construction worker 1 being awake and having the signs pester him while construction worker 2 is, again, unaware. He animates construction worker 1 as freaking out. At my asking, he says, "This is what construction worker 2 sees," and he removes the signs and makes construction worker 1 act like he's freaking out.

Then he repeats construction worker 1 being bothered by the signs, only to have construction worker 2 start acting startled. I asked how construction worker 2 could see the signs, and he replied, "Construction worker 2 is having a nightmare about construction worker 1 being attacked by walking signs." When I asked if construction worker 1 could see that scene unfolding, he said, "No, he's asleep."

Finally, he animates the signs taking over vehicles and driving them away, while the construction workers are variously dreaming about each other dreaming a few iterations in. He comes over to me slyly and says, "The construction workers are stretching their amygdalas." (I suppose because they were afraid in their dreams.)

So, that's what construction play looks like here.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    P
    P
    Oh, those boys and their trucks....!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That's hysterical!

ETA: Or, I guess not, since he's a boy. wink

Last edited by aeh; 02/25/15 11:08 AM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 88 of 131 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM