Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 43 of 131 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 130 131
    M
    M
    DD3: "Why did the cashier person ask the lady where she was from?"
    Me: "Oh, because she was visiting from another country and he was making a conversation."
    DD3: "I know that, Mommy. I want to know why he had to ask. She was from Australia. She sounded just like (one of her classmates)'s mom."
    Me: "Well, but what if she wasn't? When you make a wrong assumption about their background, people could get offended."
    DD3: "Offended? Why?"
    Me: "If people thought you were from Jupiter, wouldn't you be offended?"
    DD3: "Why would anyone think I'm from Jupiter? There is no air for me to breath or water for me to drink."
    Me: "Oh never mind."

My head hurts.

A
    A
    LOL, Nautigal!

Mana, that daughter of yours is precise. She reminds me of my husband, the lawyer. Whether that's a reason to celebrate or mourn, a nice glass of wine or a hot bath is in order either way.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Not academically impressive, but apt: DS2 was watching an episode of the TV show "Between the Lions" when a musmemical interlude came on. He said, "This is terrible music." He was right!

On the ride home from swimming tonight, we were running through the alphabet and naming a dinosaur for each letter to occupy DS' attention. I blanked at "T", and he promptly suggested "titanosaur". I couldn't even think of t-rex or triceratops (or even a class like theropod) and he outclassed me.
    Good memories! We did this too. smile. It was soon followed by what shapes have X number of sides, and then what do you call a Y that has Z number of wheels/eyes/legs... Google is my friend.

C
    C
    We have two dogs, one is a mixed breed and the other is not. They were both rescue dogs so we really didn't care what breed they were. I have a tendency to call the Jack Russell a mutt when she is being silly. My daughter likes to correct me about that saying "well actually, she is not the mutt. Rocky is the mutt." He is a Dachshund/Beagle mix.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    Not academically impressive, but apt: DS2 was watching an episode of the TV show "Between the Lions" when a musmemical interlude came on. He said, "This is terrible music." He was right!

On the ride home from swimming tonight, we were running through the alphabet and naming a dinosaur for each letter to occupy DS' attention. I blanked at "T", and he promptly suggested "titanosaur". I couldn't even think of t-rex or triceratops (or even a class like theropod) and he outclassed me.
    Good memories! We did this too. smile. It was soon followed by what shapes have X number of sides, and then what do you call a Y that has Z number of wheels/eyes/legs... Google is my friend.

Ooh, great suggestions SAHM!

C
    C
    OMG, my husband, being a genius himself, tells me he has to figure out Greenwich time to reset his digital watch because it keeps track of fishing and hunting times. This is the same man who can't tell time on an analog watch. No wonder I have trouble figuring out our DD9.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    M
    M
    She reminds me of my husband, the lawyer. Whether that's a reason to celebrate or mourn, a nice glass of wine or a hot bath is in order either way.

If that's the case then, your in-laws have my sympathies. How did they survive his teen years?

They are probably delighted to have a grandchild who doesn't interrogate them at every opportunity.

M
    M
    DD has been calling me by my first name for the last few weeks. I thought it was just a phase but it's sticking.

I don't mind it so I am not going to insist that she stops but it is rather strange.

M
    M
    Mana all three of my kids have had a stage lasting months, or even years, of calling my husband and I by first names, usually starting between one or two years old. I've always been surprised when people freaked out about it "She called you firstname!!" "Yep, that's my name..." I don't understand the fuss. They all still call us Mum and Dad, or some variation of such, at least some of the time. But even if they didn't and only used our names I still wouldn't fuss... Maybe that's weird of me?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    She reminds me of my husband, the lawyer. Whether that's a reason to celebrate or mourn, a nice glass of wine or a hot bath is in order either way.

If that's the case then, your in-laws have my sympathies. How did they survive his teen years?

They are probably delighted to have a grandchild who doesn't interrogate them at every opportunity.

They took the approach of virtually ignoring all their children and are doing the same with their grandson. FIL has commented that DH had effectively raised himself, which DH says is true.

Here's one of my own...

DS to DH: I need to watch toy trucks playing in a green turtle sandbox. [On YouTube.]

DH: Buddy, that's not going to be easy to find.

DS (insistently and slightly menacingly): Yes, it is. [DS then passes DH the iPad.]

Page 43 of 131 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM