Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 252 of 268 1 2 250 251 252 253 254 267 268
    ds, slogging through his first year back in school, 9th grade has gotten sick more times than I can count -- the school has actually been pretty cool about it even though they are having to move sol tests and things like that around for him to sit after he has missed them.
    still possibly going to pull straight As this year (thank you iep and understanding school teachers/admins (FOR ONCE!!))

it is a bit torturous, but he basically had some very severe illness last few weeks and went to school for the first time in 10 days, did an sol, did another test, did some bio work, came home passed out for 13 hours, got up, went to take another couple SOLs --which typically I don't worry too much about but he gets stressed on them.

anyway, just the get up and go at this point is pretty impressive.

edited to add: just found out he did awesome on his geometry test that he had to drag himself out of bed to get to.
    yay!

Last edited by chris1234; 06/02/16 01:09 PM.
    T
    T
    I was so proud of DS9 this weekend.
    After watching him in a little skit for the Easter service in third grade over a year ago (the disciple meeting Jesus on the way to Emmaus), and hearing his earnest explanation on how he thought to act in order to convey shock and surprise as opposed to just reciting his lines the way the others did, I thought he really needed to be in the musical theatre club again
    In third grade, the club had been oversubscribed and as usual, he'd forgotten to hand in the application slip in time so he was not even allowed to enter the lottery. So when the club was oversubscribed for fourth grade again and he lost in the lottery I had to beg and grovel for him to be allowed in anyway. I guilted his teacher into advocating for him, moaning about how we'd all agreed he shouldn't be accelerated into fifth grade in middle school because he needed time to further develop his social skills and learn how to be part of a group and now he had lost his chance to be in theatre again, and wasn't this communal project the perfect chance....
    They somehow made room for him. I bet they were glad they did!
    He landed the role of Talking Hat (sort of like a parody of the HP sorting hat, spouting constant nonsense). He was dressed all in black, with the hat coming down over his face to his shoulders. I was told the other kids called him "the Man in Black" and thought he looked cool. My kid has never been cool!
    I was not surprised that he was one of the few kids who always knew his lines and never needed prompting. But since I knew nothing of his role (he'd never asked for my help learning his stuff and obviously needed none) I was very surprised that he had three solo songs. All of them were rhythmically complicated but he managed them with very few stumbles and sang in tune, which actually was a standout too. (I thought all those times I'd made him stand up with a violin for piano-accompanied solo recitals must have paid off). But one of them was a very fast and complicated rap, nonsense sentences meant to mimic a politician spouting sound bites, and he belted it into the microphone like a pro, not a single mistake or insecurity. That one was all him.
    DH said afterwards it was very impressive watching your kid doing something you knew you could not do yourself and that even next to his talented classmate who played the lead and was great, DS9 looked like a middle schooler acting amongst elementary kids.
    Until the final applause when he started capering around like the little boy he is.
    Yes, we were proud.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    That is terrific, Tigerle. What a wonderful moment for all of you!

B
    B
    I guess this is the place to put this. We so rarely have any brags.

Received an email from one of DS's teachers today. It brought happy tears to my eyes. It was only a few sentences but it was about how much DS has matured since freshman year. It was the teacher who DS went on a trip with at the beginning of summer. He had him for a class freshman year & this past year. Teacher assured me that he was planning on writing a college letter for DS. (I wasn't asking.) Still not sure if he will need one.. (list looks mostly to be state schools) but we will have to find an excuse. It feels so good to have a teacher in his corner.

Plus seems that despite the screw up with his accommodations on administering the PSAT he will make commended for National Merit (won't find out till fall officially), although will miss our states anticipated cutoff for semi-finalist. (He'd never make finalist.) He got a great score on the main part of SAT. Essay grade nothing to write home about but I have no idea what the score means anyway. SAT scores are good enough there is no point in having him take them again. (Better than his PSAT predicted.) And he barely studied but did get extra time.

Plus 5's on both his AP's.

Last edited by bluemagic; 07/13/16 10:17 PM.
    P
    P
    bluemagic, so happy to see this good news! It's impossible to describe, isn't it, that unbelievable feeling when your child finally finds that teacher who truly gets them, who enjoys the unusual ways they think instead of being frustrated by them, and who is able to bring out the best in the kid. So glad to see your DS is ending high school's rather rough ride with that positive experience in hand.

I hope your son is feeling very proud of those 5s. Kudos to both of you, and hugs to you for holding in there so well, so long, and making it possible for him to get there.

A
    A
    Bluemagic, that's such great news about your son's accomplishments and feedback from the teacher. It must be so rewarding to see him hitting his stride, and having external validation of all his good qualities. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    Ditto to the above, blue magic. So happy to hear things have been going well for your DS!

N
    N
    So happy to hear the news, Bluemagic! That is just wonderful!

N
    N
    And thanks for the prompt to check my own DS' scores. 3 5s, a 5 sub score, and 4 on the test for the course he didn't take (Physics 2). Oh, and one of those 5s? He was failing the course so miserably we finally dropped it for credit and he audited it instead for the last 3 months. Like you, we have few things to brag about. So this was worth a couple fist-bumps.

SAT IIs come out in a week.

C
    C
    Way to go, NotherBen! 'Nother fistbump to your DS!

Page 252 of 268 1 2 250 251 252 253 254 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM