Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 242 of 268 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 267 268
    A
    A
    1111 and MichelleC, you guys should do a FaceTime party!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    P
    P
    1111 - We're Eastern (Ontario). A FaceTime toast at 9:26:53 sounds like a great plan! Send us a pm and let the good times roll.

Can't get enough pi around here. For Halloween, he made a Pumpkin Pi (sorta like this, but with a 100 digits or so circling the pi: coolmomtech.com/2013/10/8-geeky-halloween-pumpkins-diy/). I'd given up on buying him anything for Christmas until I found ThinkGeek.com (fleece pi blanket with 413 digits, pi shirt with over 4,000....).

T
    T
    All the pi stuff is so cool. Love these kids!

My seven year old took the SCAT yesterday. It was his first test ever. His scores are decent, I think... Their scoring isn't very well explained.. Anyway

Verbal:
    98%

Quantitative:
    99%

S
    S
    It has been WAY long since I've added, but two quick ones come to mind.

She's 5.

Tonight she saw a dirt mountainous road in a movie and said "That road is treacherous!"

Earlier in the week she argued for additional cookies; she is permitted 2 of these day, and had already eaten them. Her line of thinking?

I can have tomorrow's cookies because it's already tomorrow somewhere else, and yesterday me would not get mad.

Or something like that. It was yet another wahhht?? Stop, kid... just... ahhhhh.

MichelleC, sounds like a plan! DS is very excited to have someone share his excitement. I will PM you closer to the day so we can arrange!

MichelleC, I sent you a PM....:-)

M
    M
    DD4 is back in her ballet class after a long hiatus.

She is probably one of the oldest girls in the class and behind everyone else since she's forgotten almost everything. I asked her if that's going to bother her and she replied, "I don't care about those things. I love to dance and I'm going to have fun no matter what!"

It's one of those moments that made me hopeful that she would not be a stressed-out, miserable person who's sadly confused about what it means to be successful in life.

I just realised that my DD's SCAT scores as a 5th grader SSv=477 and SSq=499. are pretty darned good when you realise that she is actually just aa 4th grader age wise.

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/01/15 06:04 PM.

Become what you are
    P
    P
    Pretty darn good as a fifth grader too! Congrats to her.

ETA: I'm over the moon, so will come back and add one of my own. Getting dyslexic DD8 to read has always involved lengthy battles - she wouldn't even read the words on her own t-shirt. Last night, after we finished our reading remediation program, she asked if she could read me a picture book of poetry rather than having me do my usual bedtime read. Uh.... yes!!!!!!!!!!!! She whipped through it, huge smile on her face, clearly demonstrating that her reading level has already well-surpasssed a book that would have been a nightmare four months ago.

Later, watching her Dad scan some news on his iPad, she asked if he was really reading that fast. Because, she explained, it takes her the whole evening to read a page from "Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods". That's the non-fiction, not the novel, and holy dense text, Batman. She's been asking for that book, by herself, in lieu of bedtime reading all week, but I gotta be honest - it. never. occurred. to. me. that. she. was. actually. READING. it! rather than looking at the pictures and imagining, as she has been doing for all these years. Daddy explained that he is actually quite a slow reader (probably dyslexic too), and that he fully expects her to be able to read that fast, and probably faster, with all the hard work she's putting into her remediation. Inspired DD went back for another page about Athena.

OK, I'm blubbing up just writing this.

Last edited by MichelleC; 04/02/15 06:56 AM. Reason: had to add a brag too. Sniff :)
    D
    D
    Michelle, that is FABULOUS.

Page 242 of 268 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM