Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 241 of 268 1 2 239 240 241 242 243 267 268
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by squishys
    DS8's teacher informed me today that his spelling assessment results show his level of spelling is that of a 16 year old (or older). Don't know what that means, exactly, but it sounds good.
    Sounds supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

P
    P
    DD's favourite word, I frequently find it written across her whiteboard - the one we use for our dyslexia reading remediation. Three months ago, it was barely recognizable; last night she wrote "supercalifragilisticexpialadoshus" - which is darn near perfect since we haven't yet gotten any where near the likes of "cious". And she then went on to explain why it had to be "su-per" and not "sup-per". Wahoo!

M
    M
    Thank you aquinas. I wish we didn't have to look for a new string teacher but since DD started with her old teacher at such a young age, they have bonded emotionally. That was wonderful when DD was a compliant child but now that she isn't, it has become a problem and private music lessons are too expensive to have behavioral management issues.

A
    A
    Mana, you have to evolve alongside her, and you're wise not to force a relationship that will be unproductive.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    aquinas, I must admit, it was actually a friend of mine who urged me to find a new teacher. She took cello lessons until college and both of her DC played piano; every time I talked about DD's string lessons, she urged me to consider finding a new teacher.

I was in a denial for awhile but my DD kept on acting out yet she didn't want to quit. At first, I thought she was acting out because things were finally getting hard but in retrospect, she probably knew instinctually that she and her original string teacher needed to part ways.

Her previous teacher was a gifted performer. Her new teacher is a gifted teacher. I am glad that we transferred while DD was still a beginner.

DS7 has decided to honor PI day this year by learning as many digits as possible. He memorized 104 digits in 35 minutes and says them so fast I can't even keep up...not a valuable skill but still, he is having a blast. :-)

C
    C
    Originally Posted by 1111
    DS7 has decided to honor PI day this year by learning as many digits as possible. He memorized 104 digits in 35 minutes and says them so fast I can't even keep up...not a valuable skill but still, he is having a blast. :-)

If he keeps practicing and can get to 797 digits, he could win a Pizza Hut gift certificate at our school😃.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by 1111

He is awesome - one of the professors at my college could recite 200 digits of pi - he used to say that even though it was not a valuable skill, it was a great memory test as well as a source of self entertainment.

P
    P
    DS10 has been planning the ultimate Pi Day party for months, given that this is the ultimate year for Pi Day. The climax was to occur, of course, on 3/14/15 at exactly 9:26:53. He is crushed to discover that it's during March Break, and all the kids are travelling - in particular the only one who would think a Pi Day party was a great idea, and the other one that would have a good time just because DS thought it was cool and he's willing to go along with that.

As far as I know, DS has only memorized about 50 digits - but he's got most of his class to take on the first 20 or so after begging me to print the first 100,000 to post on the board in his math class.

I think the math teacher may be the only invitee to the party...

MichelleC, I told DS 7 about your son's PI party and he asked if he were invited. He got so excited and was very upset when I told him you guys don't live here. He said that he would have a party here at the same time, so that he knows someone is doing the same thing. But then he wondered if you guys are in the same time zone....I promised I would find out...:-)
    We are in Eastern, where are you.

Page 241 of 268 1 2 239 240 241 242 243 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM