Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 240 of 268 1 2 238 239 240 241 242 267 268
    U
    U
    I love his teacher, but for various school- and class-specific reasons, I don't think it's a great idea to have him read to them (or to the kindergarteners, the only grade below his). I don't think the gap needs to be emphasized further. He is already doing mostly his own curriculum and not required to attend many class activities or lessons (he can stay at his desk and work independently).

E
    E
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    I know he can read but he has been pretending he can't lately. Weird/sad when your kid who has been picking up books and reading them for ages starts pretending they can't read. Combination of not wanting to grow up and realizing through exposure to other kids that not all 4 year-olds can read and not wanting negative attention. (Thanks parent of peer for calling him a freak in a nasty voice. :-/ Parent rant: why on earth would a parent think that's ok?)
    A big hug to your DS.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Blatant brag - DS8 blew my mind away again this week.

I finally found a history curriculum that I thought would be of interest. I targeted a semester to complete the year long course. Guess I picked well. He read it in 2 days. Yes. 2 days. My child who does not read voluntarily. Thinking he only skimmed it, I had him answer all the review questions. Nailed them all. Trying to stretch the curriculum out as much as possible, I had him write a summary for each chapter. I managed to "stretch" it to 3 days instead of 2. Sigh.

Back to piecing together something. Fortunately, this came with "supplemental reading suggestions".

*mental whiplash* Your son is quite the guy, Portia. What period was he studying?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    With a kid like that I'd stop thinking in terms of curriculum and how long it will last, and just teach him all the history you can get your hands on! Fortunately, you can't run out of history.

D
    D
    Make sure you squeeze in the ancient African empires. For some reason empires attract even the reluctant reader...

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    And don't forget the Asian empires. Africa and Asia are seriously overlooked in almost all spine texts. Often lots of inaccuracies in them, too.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Everyone knows the only ancient empires worth talking about were Egypt, Israel, Greece, Persia, and Rome, and the only reason to even mention Persia is because "THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!"

And by "everyone," I mean the Texas board that approves textbooks, and all that use them as a reference.

Carthage? Nubia? What's that?

B
    B
    My daughter just turned four two weeks ago. She picks up a book at the library that's a 6th grade reading level and can pick any page and read smoothly. Even though she's been reading for quite a while.. she never fails to blow my mind with what she's capable of both reading AND comprehending. I could read when I was four.. but it wasn't books at the level she can read.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    M
    M
    DD4 had an audition with a new string teacher. Our city's youth orchestra's current concertmaster and associate concertmaster are both her students so it's rather competitive to get into her studio.

DD got in and her new teacher wants to know if we'd be willing to sign up for a competition next year and DD would be chosen as one of the 3 allotted entries from her studio. So it'd be the concertmaster, associate concertmaster, and DD.

We don't do competitions so we'll likely decline for the next few years at least but it's still quite validating to know that we weren't imagining her talent.

A
    A
    Mana, she's a special girl! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 240 of 268 1 2 238 239 240 241 242 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM