Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 239 of 268 1 2 237 238 239 240 241 267 268
    M
    M
    Congratulations to your DD!

Please let us know how the rest of her college journey goes. smile

L
    L
    Congratulations to your DD, Flyingmouse! Very impressive!!!

U
    U
    DS6's teacher recently tested his read-aloud speed and it's about 190 words per minute. I don't know what she gave him to read, but she knows his abilities, so I imagine it wasn't Frog and Toad. I didn't really know what that number means, but apparently it's pretty high for his age...

S
    S
    Took DS4 skiing, at the end of the day on the way back, I told him I needed him to help me find the cabriolet. He pointed and said, it's the one with the word "cabriolet" on it. He was right, and I was happy to hear him admit he was reading.

I know he can read but he has been pretending he can't lately. Weird/sad when your kid who has been picking up books and reading them for ages starts pretending they can't read. Combination of not wanting to grow up and realizing through exposure to other kids that not all 4 year-olds can read and not wanting negative attention. (Thanks parent of peer for calling him a freak in a nasty voice. :-/ Parent rant: why on earth would a parent think that's ok?)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DS6's teacher recently tested his read-aloud speed and it's about 190 words per minute. I don't know what she gave him to read, but she knows his abilities, so I imagine it wasn't Frog and Toad. I didn't really know what that number means, but apparently it's pretty high for his age...

That is extremely high!

See page four of this document. Note that 190 doesn't even enter the norms until spring of grade 5...at the 90th %ile:

https://my.vanderbilt.edu/specialeducationinduction/files/2013/07/IA.Reading-CBM.pdf

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    U
    U
    Yeah, I did a quick Google and saw that it was not really typical 6yo speed! Which didn't surprise me, of course, since I do have him read to me sometimes. The reading is pretty wow on this kid. He does great voices, even.

I'll bet in a few years, he'd love reading aloud to younger kids, UM. smile

DD has that profile, too, and she's always eager to do story times for younger kids. The young children are so appreciative of that fluid ability to do all of the voices and dramatize on the fly!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    He wants to read to his class now, but his teacher has (IMO, wisely) tried to diplomatically steer him away from that. (They all know he's different, but no need to overemphasize it by having him play teacher, I think.)

C
    C
    My son would get in readers theater groups and coach the other students in his group on how to read with expression..."Come on you can do this with more feeling...how do you sound when you are excited? Like this? or Like this?" (Some of that comes naturally to him and some of it comes from having a drama teacher dad who has always done voices with bedtime stories).

The teachers (this was an enrichment pull out group that was all kids who didn't need special intervention) let him take on the role of director a bit.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    He wants to read to his class now, but his teacher has (IMO, wisely) tried to diplomatically steer him away from that. (They all know he's different, but no need to overemphasize it by having him play teacher, I think.)

My DD's pre-K teacher turned story time over to DD, and the class treated her like a rock star for it. DW volunteered to chaperone a class trip, and all the little ones were so eager to tell DW how smart our DD was... in case DW was unaware, or something. It was adorable.

And as a differentiated instructional method, it was excellent, because DD was working on a different skill set that she was developmentally ready for, while the kids were working on another one, listening along.

YMMV, depending on the personalities involved. The teacher's attitude here is an important one. If your DS's teacher is hesitant, that'll probably influence the reaction of the kids. My DD's teacher was very supportive and positive about it.

Page 239 of 268 1 2 237 238 239 240 241 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM