Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 268 1 2 3 267 268
    #28872 10/23/08 07:38 AM
    CFK Offline OP
    OP Offline
    There seems to be a lot of new posters on the board and many seem to have voiced the same comment - that they can't share their children's accomplishments with anyone. So I think it's time for a brag thread!

What wonderful amazing things has your child done lately that you can't tell anyone? Boast away in all your glory!

(and I expect much more boasting details from all those posters on the "isolation thread"! Here's your chance!)

Great idea, CFK! I dearly love to read the bragging about our kids! smile

And congrats to your DS on the A. Yay!

Mine is more of a funny than a brag...

We're homeschooling, and DS7 was working on adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators. We had worked on it a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't yet "stuck" completely. (So he's being challenged and has to work on it--yay! laugh And he asked to try it again, so he likes the challenge--double yay!)

He did one problem and multiplied the fractions together instead of finding the LCD and adding. I talked about why this didn't work in terms of fruit: "if you have 2 apples and 2 apples (ie if the denominators are the same), then you just add the apples together. But if you have one set of apples and one set oranges, then you have to change their appearance so that you're working with all apples, all oranges...or maybe something totally different, like all plums..."

DS7 grinned his "I'm about to be clever" grin and said, "...And then we're in a pickle!"

That boy cracks me up! laugh

Kriston
    We got supplemental sheets for math. DS5.5 has been sick the last few days and I think he's under the impression that he has to do ALL 20 sheets while he's a home smile

At any rate, one sheet is open ended. You pick a number (we encouraged him to pick 36 as opposed to a prime number like he did last time!) and you're supposed to come up with all sorts of ways to get to that number. Like 30 + 6, 40 - 4, 6 x 6, etc. Since he figured out that 6 is a factor of 36, he was thinking through whether or not 3 could be a factor. Unsure of himself, Mom suggested, "well, just go through your 3 times table to see".

DS: "But mommy, I can't go up to 3 times 12!" (smurk)

JB

Good ones, all!

S
    S
    Pud (7) was doing long division the other day, 91/12. He couldn't figure out how many times 12 went into 91 so he starts subtracting 12 from 91 until he can't subtract 12 any more. Then, he counted up how many times he subtracted and said "there, there's my quotient and the remainder is ...". He'll get there one way or another.

T
    T
    Hope you don't mind me joining this thread.

DS7 loves to invent things. This is why I buy tape by the case. Last Saturday he was do his inventing thing and came up with item that is really, really good. My DH and I just looked at one another without saying a word. After the kids went to bed we discussed the item in detail and decided to look for a patent attorney. Maybe it will help pay for college. When I told DS7 that we were going to take his idea to a new level and keep it in his name, he completely freaked, his was soooo excited.

All these stories are fantastic.

A
    A
    Yes, these stories are awesome. This is just a great place for people to be able to talk about their kids openly. Thank you for sharing!

Great idea, CFK.

My DD8 recently realized that her best friend is *bullying* her in that she threatens to end the frienship if DD plays with anyone else.
    She has begun attempting to resist her friend's attempt to manipulate her.

I'm very proud that she had the wisdom to realize this. The maturity to start standing up for herself. The finesse to figure out a way to do it without ending the friendship or hurting the friend.

May not sound like much of a brag, but she is so naturally passive and non-confrontational I am thrilled she is handling her problem this way.

L
    L
    My 10 year old is finding ways to work around the dyspraxia/hypotonia that causes difficulty with writing.

He took a long break from math (Aleks) because we had trouble with our internet service for several months and it is his least favorite subject. When he started back to work on middle school math course that he was about half-way through before he quit, he found that he could get answers to some math questions much faster by not writing anything down. For example: 3/10 divided by 4/15 he clicked on the fraction box thing that I thought could only be used once for the final answer and typed in 3/10, 15/4 and 45/40 so that all were on the screen at the same time, then 1 5/40, then 1 1/8 for his final answer after backspacing over the ones he didn't need. We had talked a few days ago about the need for showing his work so he could check it because he would sometimes get distracted when doing mental math and have to start over. He told me he was "digitally writing it down." I knew typing helped with getting his thoughts on paper but I never knew you could type math. He knows that he can't use this for everything and he will write out problems when he absolutely has to. He says I can't expect him to not use these tools if they are available.

He actually enjoyed his last Cub Scouts meeting because they worked on the Citizen badge and he got to talk about what he knew about government, the election process and the electoral college and the scout leader let them discuss politics, but he and the scout leader did most of the talking. He said the leader asked him how old he was and what grade he was in. He gets asked this question a lot. He had to fill out a worksheet and he said he apologised to the cub scout leader for his bad handwriting. At least he is able to explain to other people that he has a disability now, instead of trying to hide it. I think finding out that the actor who played Harry Potter also has this mild disability helped him. I think it also helped to find out that one of our neighbors has an older daughter that might be 2E. She only had one teacher in all of her years in school who really got that she needed to learn differently. One teacher had her put in special ed, but she told them she wasn't learning anything so they put her back in regular classes where she somehow overcame her difficulties and in high school she ended up making the highest scores on math tests in a school for gifted kids that she tested to get into. My neighbor said the one teacher who encouraged her daughter made a huge difference in her life.

M
    M
    Hi everyone-

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for awhile. I am so glad you started this thread because I have been dying to tell someone this and can't IRL. My daughter A (6.5 yrs) is double grade skipped and is now in third grade. Last week we received her first progress report and she received all O's (outstanding progress) and one S in writing. I even went and talked to her teacher because I was so surprised that she got almost all O's. He said that he is a hard grader and that only a few kids received all O's!! I was sooo proud of A and all of her hard work. Another thing she did last week was to move to her 4's in multiplication. O.k., no big deal. But she did 56 problems in 4 minutes the first day and the very next day she went to 94!!! WOW! I was shocked! Again, I'm so proud of her and she is LOVING school!

Thanks for letting me brag!!

Page 1 of 268 1 2 3 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM