Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Seeking opinions/thoughts - My DS 11 taking 7th/8th grade combo math currently. I think the natural next step is Algebra I, our school thinks he should take Pre-Algebra first. I can't see any good reason to slow him down. Thoughts?

Last edited by Momma Bear; 01/17/15 06:22 PM.
    N
    N
    I would think only getting B's would be a reason in slowing him down.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Our #1 went from 7th grade math to algebra I, at the teacher's recommendation, without any noticeable dip in performance, or pesky skill gaps appearing.

I would suggest algebra placement/readiness testing as a more objective measure of his readiness for algebra I vs pre-algebra.

ETA: I meant to add that the teacher did algebra readiness testing of every member of the sixth, seventh, and eighth grades, and placed students into seventh grade math, eighth grade math, pre-algebra, or algebra I accordingly.

Last edited by aeh; 01/16/15 12:30 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    I would look at the list of skills/topics in both classes side by side...maybe ask to look at the text books and sit with the teachers and see how much overlap there is.

My gifted son did honors sixth grade math,pre algebra 7th,and algebra 8th grade.
    He didn't do 7th grade math at all.

But different classes are called pre algebra...sometimes pre algebra is just a way to slow down students who aren't ready for algebra and give them lots of practice with the basic concepts of algebra so they can successfully complete algebra...so it is designed for those not really good in math.

Other times pre algebra is consolidates all that middle school math and gets advanced younger students ready for algebra.

Sometimes it is completely necessary and sometime not so much and sometime it doesn't hurt...I think it depends on your child and the content of the class.

ETA. My younger son will be taking a different track next year (it is new) a special class in sixth grade and then algebra in 7th. So whatever he is taking will cover a consolidation of 6/7/pre algebra/whatever he needs before algebra. If that had been available for my older son he would have done that.

Last edited by Cookie; 01/16/15 12:43 PM. Reason: Added to post
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    I would think only getting B's would be a reason in slowing him down.

Agreed-- I would look at what those grades are based upon, and what is keeping them B's and not A's.

In most middle school settings, that would (to me) indicate that mastery isn't quite there with the material. That is, understanding is "solid" but it might not be truly mastery.

Looking at the scope and sequence-- and texts, if you can-- for all three courses would be my suggestion. Look at what is covered by the course the student is taking now, what would be covered by pre-algebra, and what is expected of students in Algebra I.

It might be fine in light of the student's history, but there are going to be a lot of small contributing things to consider.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Is this a public school? Does it use common core standards? Is the standard 8th grade math "pre-algebra"? Because common core has redefined what material is covered in 8th grade math & algebra it's hard to tell you what to recommend without more details.

I agree with the posts that you really want mastery in algebra before moving on. I think you need to take a good look at what the curriculum in the pre-algebra class, vs his current class and the algebra class. I also would look at what is keeping the grades B's.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/16/15 01:03 PM.
    H
    H
    Our school district has Algebra readiness tests (some kind of standardized test). Does your school have any information on those?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Cookie - I like the idea of looking at the skills side by side. I hadn't thought of that. It might give me more of an idea of what would be best. All the students will take a readiness test of sorts, but it's not standardized and still in it's trial phase (common core)

Bluemagic - Public school/common core which is part of my struggle to decide. So many changes to the curriculum.

P
    P
    I would check out the Bs. Is he forgetting homework, being dragged down by group work, making careless mistakes, bored etc. You may need to work on non maths skills. On the other hand Bs are perfectly respectable marks but not for skipping a year.

N
    N
    Agreed.It always seems easier to blame the school or take a test instead of resolving the real problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM