Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by moomin
    This is particularly confounding for kids as these same teachers are often very encouraging of extra-information in classroom discussions, where it serves to keep conversation moving and adds color and interest to the material being covered.

OK. Now, I am beginning to understand what you are saying. Thank you!
    The student is to write only what was taught by the teacher and to not add any extraneous information, no matter how relevant it is. Thant would ensure most teachers not docking points off the answers.

M
    M
    Yes, but, that's only true to the extent that you're in it for the maximal points. I tend to encourage my students (and my daughter) to view the points given as a largely extraneous factor with little significance to the quality of any given educational experience.

But, yes, if you're trying to maximize your score, stick to the specific substance of what has been taught and clearly and concisely answer the question.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by puffin
    In some tertiary courses here they use unit standards. The answer is not judged correct unless it has exactly the words the marker wants. The only way to get A s is to memorise and regurgitate the notes handed out by instruction.

This really doesn't seem like education to me.

It isn't.

But do NOT expect that to change anytime soon. Guess what? This is reaching into higher ed these days.

Y'all are living in the dark ages if human beings are still grading student work in the first place. This is a job for automation.

{sarcasm} Thanks, Pearson Web-solutions for Education(tm).
    {/sarcasm}

For some reason this reminds me of the year that #1's school switched to Pearson eTexts. The history teacher was initially unaware that there were quizzes embedded in the text that students could practice until they reached 100%. After a disastrous attempt at compiling her own exams (a long story involving test questions with no connection to the text, and technical difficulties with the tests supplied with the curriculum), the presence of these quizzes was pointed out to her, so she started using the same questions for actual paper quizzes. (Had to ask #1 how to screen capture and print them, though.) It's amazing how test scores rose after that!

As to automated grading: quite often, teachers don't set eyes on the work products or assessments at all. We routinely use computer-adaptive assessments for reading comprehension, essays, mathematics, vocational skills, even employability/soft skills.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    There is nothing quite like the particular hell engendered by trying in vain to properly FORMAT an otherwise completely correct answer/solution to a lengthy problem in chemistry, physics, or calculus.

Just saying-- this experience is fairly fresh in my mind. It drove my daughter crazy that her chemistry homework portal would randomly select a number of significant figures for constants-- without telling the student what it had chosen for a particular problem. Sometimes it took 15 minutes or more to "guess" at the right value, and she lost points for every incorrect answer. Yes, really.

Let's also recall that such programs are created and instructed by human beings, too, and that they therefore contain errors. She found a few of those, as well.

My personal favorite was the resonance structure question which rejected her answer because--

it was entered "upside down" relative to the solution. There is simply no legitimate way to consider that answer incorrect.

So yes, while automation is a distinct improvement upon incompetent educators running classrooms, it only works well when it isn't some monolithic, inflexible beast that must be fed the proper input stream at all times. Computers are only as smart as those providing the instructions for them.

It's still not what I'd call good, relative to an actual expert human being, in other words.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you for all of your replies. The teacher explained that earlier that day she told the class exactly what she wanted as a response and that it was as much a test in listening as in knowledge.

P
    P
    As long as she did state it clearly, tell them while she was stating it, everyone was there and they had the opportunity to write instructions down and seek clarification that is OK. I can never remember verbal instructions later and I don't think I am the only one.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM