Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    Good save, JL.

U
    U
    Waldorf families do go to Disneyworld/Disneyland. You don't really have to swear off all pop culture forevermore, at least not at all schools.

Anyway, back to Nazi cows.

(Yes, I also read about the 4 temperaments when I looked into this casually and had about exactly the reaction HK did. The what? The who? The hell?)

T
    T
    Hello? Mrs Tallulah? Don't worry, your children are fine, but we did want to let you know that due to the cupcakes you sent in for their snacks they were experiencing a most distressing imbalance of choleric and sanguine humors in the playground! Mr Jones was able to perform a small bleeding on them to rebalance their humors after recess and everything seems to have settled down again now.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by FruityDragons
    [quote]
    For some reason the 'read in full context' wasn't working, but I don't see how it could explain that. And a quick google search revealed it does apparently relate to a toy-type object, either a sort of malevolent elf-on-the-self or a benevolent spiritual plaything.

What is it that's not working for you?
    When I click 'read in full context' I get a google page saying "that's an error".
    Makes perfect sense to me.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Waldorf families do go to Disneyworld/Disneyland. You don't really have to swear off all pop culture forevermore, at least not at all schools.

As an initial matter, you may not be aware of this, but Disneyworld and Disneyland are two completely different experiences and arose in two different contexts, so generally it's not advisable to conflate or combine the two in a public forum such as this one.

That being said, certain aspects of DisneyWorld can be used as a profound Waldorfian example of what a person is capable of when their humors are completely balanced and in perfect harmony.

For example, this video of one of the employees of DisneyWorld shows the "Gaston Model" of such humorial balance and integration and what can be achieved if you follow the Waldorf plan.

Tigerle #208779 01/12/15 09:31 AM
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    [quote=FruityDragons]
    For some reason the 'read in full context' wasn't working, but I don't see how it could explain that. And a quick google search revealed it does apparently relate to a toy-type object, either a sort of malevolent elf-on-the-self or a benevolent spiritual plaything.

When I click 'read in full context' I get a google page saying "that's an error".

I actually got:

Originally Posted by Google
    404. That’s an error.

The requested URL {linky-link stuff} was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Which I found amusing in the extreme, when coupled with the encouraging advice that this nicely 'explained' things in context, after all.

It does, in a sort of metaphysical kind of sense.

I hasten to add that Howl and Finnegan's Wake have also been challenging for yours truly. I'll bet that Gaston understands them both; my, what a guy! I'm feeling intrigued by the notion that a Steiner education could produce such a harmonious, and yet intimidating, specimen of humanity.

In unrelated news, I also have to wonder what sort of Steiner type Ted Nugent is. Probably a Choleric. Must ponder this further.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by Tigerle

I actually got:

Originally Posted by Google
    404. That’s an error.

The requested URL {linky-link stuff} was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Which I found amusing in the extreme, when coupled with the encouraging advice that this nicely 'explained' things in context, after all.

It does, in a sort of metaphysical kind of sense.

Doesn't anyone but you get the joke? frown

Tigerle #208804 01/12/15 04:38 PM
    F
    F
    I didn't think of it at first but now I'm cracking up trying to picture someone sitting at their computer, trying to find an explanation for this, and deciding that gnomes were too ethereal to be described and then linking to that.

M
    M
    and this

http://www.montessorianswers.com/my-experiences-with-waldorf.html

or if you want to see how cult like it is google waldorf survivors -eek

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    and this

http://www.montessorianswers.com/my-experiences-with-waldorf.html

or if you want to see how cult like it is google waldorf survivors -eek

Just wanted to call out these two quotes from your link:

1. "Another time a sixth grader asked me how the copy machine in the office worked. Before I could even open my mouth, a teacher ran over to the child, and told him that there was a gnome asleep in the box and that when you pushed the button, a light went on, woke him up, and then he quickly copied the paper placed in front of him and pushed the copy out of the little hole. After the child left, I was told that we couldn’t “poison” the child’s mind with “stone cold facts”."

2. "Another thing that bothered me deeply was the fact that although the teachers believed that everything from the color crayon a child used at a certain age, to the knowledge that they were exposed to, had to be completely controlled, they could be left utterly alone on the playground. It was explained to me that this was because “The angels watched over and protected them” while they were playing. This dichotomy bothered me. I couldn’t fathom why it was so incredibly important to make sure a child was painting with a certain color at a certain time, but could be left completely unsupervised on the playground. Once, when a child was in tears because the other children kept on pushing her off of a stump they were playing on, I tried to teach conflict resolution skills to the group and was, once again, admonished by the staff. I was told that all of the children were “working through” things and needed to be left alone. - Eventually the bullying got so bad that it permeated every part of the child’s school day. Yet still the teachers would not intervene. The child became sullen and withdrawn, stopped working, stopped playing, stopped talking,…. The parents tried to speak with the teachers about the situation, but were treated worse than I was. Eventually she was removed from the school and the bullies found another victim to torture without any adult intervention."

Last edited by aquinas; 01/13/15 05:12 AM.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM