Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    T
    T
    I think it is true for most education systems that elementary school has to be endured, and if possible, compressed in the shortest possible time, but by middle school, things do have to fall into place - options open up, but expectations have to be met. By high school age, most kids are mature enough to find their niches and profit from what there is on offer in a much wider world that works for them including online and higher education, but between, say, ten and fourteen, you mostly have to make school, and classrooms, work for them. Acceleration in elementary can get you in that place faster, and it is the trade offs in that setting I am looking at now that DS is in third - if I had felt the need for another grade skip between K and second, I might have just looked at getting him through elementary with the least damage.

That this is true for a huge number of kids is just so very sad. There is so much that is wonderful and amazing about learning and discovering and being a little kid.

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Question to all. Did your early elementary kids actually know of the concept of grade skipping and asked for it. Or is this a question you posed to them before you approached the school?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by VR00
    Question to all. Did your early elementary kids actually know of the concept of grade skipping and asked for it. Or is this a question you posed to them before you approached the school?
    In one case, school initiated 1st whole-grade acceleration, kiddo initiated 2nd, with subsequent accelerations occurring after elementary also initiated by kiddo.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    If the average peak annual earnings of bright people are $100K, and if years skipped mean more years worked, then each year skipped is worth $100K. I wonder why people rarely consider this. $100K is a lot of money.

Purely from an economic perspective, having your child enter post-secondary 3 to 5 years earlier than agemates also allows for a cost-savings on higher education, too. I'm sure that must seem incredibly gauche to parents who don't yet have kids in college, but there is pretty much no WAY to not think about the cost, frankly. It's eye-watering and it climbs by 4-8% annually.

At the rate of tuition increases at most institutions these days, that could easily mean that a fifth year can be paid for out of the savings, or at least partially so.

Compressing primary made school tolerable for our daughter. It did come with some trade-offs, certainly. Particularly in high school, there is an expectation of huge amounts of TIME devoted to study and busy-work (my description)-- that time is not appropriate for students as youngish adolescents anyway, in my own opinion, but even less so for children who are younger.

Screen time is also a consideration-- additional computer time is not insignificant in secondary and beyond. There are physiological considerations about that. We've needed to really watch our DD's ergonomics, I'll say that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    If the average peak annual earnings of bright people are $100K, and if years skipped mean more years worked, then each year skipped is worth $100K. I wonder why people rarely consider this. $100K is a lot of money.

Purely from an economic perspective, having your child enter post-secondary 3 to 5 years earlier than agemates also allows for a cost-savings on higher education, too. I'm sure that must seem incredibly gauche to parents who don't yet have kids in college, but there is pretty much no WAY to not think about the cost, frankly. It's eye-watering and it climbs by 4-8% annually.
    Parents of young college students may have less income and savings than they will a few years later, which is actually a benefit in the need-based financial aid system. It is less bad to deplete your savings on college expenses when you are relatively young.

C
    C

My son knew about grade skipping because his cousin skipped a grade. The cousin needed to skip again but had a sibling. The cousin is mostly happy now in high school.

Last edited by Cookie; 12/22/14 11:57 AM. Reason: Pronoun confusion
    Z
    Z

In our case: Yes

Heh, we decided it was the best answer, but the school beat us to the punch and suggested it, and then before DS knew we had it in the works he had met a kid who had skipped and told us he thought it would be a good idea if he skipped 2nd.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We early entered, so no for the first skip, though there was awareness of the concept, because we had explained that both parents entered first grade at about that age (one by being days before the cutoff, the other by being days after the cutoff and early entered). The school initiated the second skip, after third grade. Actually without our awareness, until the first day of school, when papers came home labeled with the unexpected grade on them. In the second case, we did have discussions with school administrators prior to the skip, that included both parents and child, and all of the available assessment data (report cards, group achievement, and OLSATs) regarding acceleration needs. So there was some awareness about the need for individual planning, and there was child input on SSA, but not on grade-skipping. OTOH, this particular child is not the sort to bat an eyelash at change, and sometimes doesn't seem to notice it at all.

ETA: Oh, and many members of the extended family, in the gparental, parental, and cousin generations have grade-skipped, several far more radically, so this wasn't a strange concept in general.

Last edited by aeh; 12/22/14 12:22 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    T

We explained both early entry and grade skipping. DS understood that he was allowed early into the preschool's K pullout (3-6 classroom) but needed the grade school principals approval for early entry into first to make the grade skip official, and he very much wanted the early entry. He showed exemplary behaviour to the principal when he came in for a trial day!
    We have kept casually mentioning that sometimes kids skip grades when the higher grade might be a better fit, but until recently have discussed the possibility of another grade skip only with teachers. With the school psych observing and assessing DS, so much control was out of our hands I wanted to get a very clear opinion on what DS wanted before initiating the process.

Last edited by Tigerle; 12/22/14 02:47 PM.
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    When DD was privately tested, they suggested one or more grade skips would be appropriate and perhaps even necessary. The district seemed to think that it would be the end of life as we know it to skip any child for any reason ever.

DD was adamantly against it back then (after 1st) as she was very sensitive about being seen as different. Of course she was also completely miserable in school. We ended up changing schools to a one-year accelerated school and then found an alternative (outside the district) where it was less about grade skipping and more about just, well, skipping along until you hit the level you needed. This defused the 'feeling different' issue.

Anyway, the point is that sometimes kids don't want to skip even though, for their own well being, they need to. They have advanced intellect, but not emotional development or life experience to make a fully formed decision. This is of course very different from skipping a child because the parents want it. We judge not based on what she says she wants, but what makes her happier, less anxious, and more comfortable with herself.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM