Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 73 of 102 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 101 102
    LAF Offline
    I like my pediatric optometrist - but then he has a gifted kid so he is used to lots of questions....

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    DD has similar attitudes. Ever since she was tiny, she complained about adults who crouched down to talk to her 'at her level' because she said she found it condescending. I once explained that this was standard advice for people working with children, but she was having none of it. And she loathes when people talk in a 'baby voice' when speaking to her.

Now that she's 11, the problem is resolving itself, and our primary care doctor, dentist, and optician are all great and basically treat her like an adult.

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    When your DS3 counters "I love you son to the moon and back a million times" with "Mommy I love you to Saturn and back a billion times, no wait, a trillion times, no wait a gazillion, just kidding that's not real, a trillion times, because you know Saturn is much farther than the moon."
    Expressing love in his own way! awwww finally.

DD was untangling and laying out strings of lights to put on the tree. "Look mom I laid the lights out in the Fibonacci Sequence."

M
    M
    DD4 on time & numbers:

DD: Numbers go on infinitely on both directions, right?
    Me: Yes, I think so.
    DD: But not days.
    Me: You mean time?
    DD: Yes, time. It had a beginning.
    Me: I guess so.
    DD: So it will have an end.
    Me: Why?
    DD: How can there be a beginning if there were to be no end?
    Me: Hmmm. I don't see why that can't be the case.
    DD: It makes no sense for it to be infinite only on one direction.
    Me: Really?
    DD: Really.

Any movie/book recommendations?

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by ohmathmom
    DD was untangling and laying out strings of lights to put on the tree. "Look mom I laid the lights out in the Fibonacci Sequence."

Had to google that.
    Love it!

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Mana
    DD4 on time & numbers:

DD: Numbers go on infinitely on both directions, right?
    Me: Yes, I think so.
    DD: But not days.
    Me: You mean time?
    DD: Yes, time. It had a beginning.
    Me: I guess so.
    DD: So it will have an end.
    Me: Why?
    DD: How can there be a beginning if there were to be no end?
    Me: Hmmm. I don't see why that can't be the case.
    DD: It makes no sense for it to be infinite only on one direction.
    Me: Really?
    DD: Really.

Any movie/book recommendations?

We are having the same conversations here! When my husband and I met, we half jokingly decided to stop talking about time/space because I was practicing living in my body and not just my mind (long story but a professor told me to get out of my head and he was right) and now this little person of ours, DS3 is taking us right back to this place. It's already strange enough to watch your children grow so fast and time is hard to grasp when you wake up to a new little person each day, let alone DISCUSS time in this way with your child. Mind boggling.

M
    M
    Thank you Portia for being a sounding board. DD is a different child these days and she no longer watches science programs or reads science books. She seems to be getting into dinosaurs a little bit but her interest seems superficial. I was surprised that she even brought up this topic out of nowhere. Since she is thinking these things on her own at an intuitive level rather than through exposure to external sources, I wasn't sure how much I should get involved in her thought process. She is rather indifferent about learning units of time although she gets very distracted by timers.

She hasn't talked about time again since then so I'm going to talk a wait-and-see approach.

M
    M
    I had the same conversation with a friend in college too about not living in my head.

This was rather uncharacteristic of DD. She lived very much in her head between age 2 and 3.10 or so but these days, she's all about having fun. I do wonder if it pops up once in awhile because she still think about these things once in awhile or she now processes ideas internally and only shares when she has a crystalized thought in her head.

I think I found her a friend who would enjoy talking to DD about the universe and other abstract ideas. It'd be interesting how that friendship would develop. smile

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    [quote=Mana]I had the same conversation with a friend in college too about not living in my head.

Being told that changed my life, especially coming from a philosophy professor who I felt knew the real me. I'm happier for sure. Now looking at my little guy seeing him think about such heavy subjects young breaks my heart some but I will help him balance his life between his head and experiences.

Page 73 of 102 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM