Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    I
    My kids loved Enid Blyton books at that age. Their favorites were the "Adventure" series (The Valley of Adventure, The Castle of Adventure, etc.) They may be out of print in the US now, but your library or interlibrary loan can probably get them.

F
    F
    I agree with all of the previous suggestions. If your kid is into it, books like the Percy Jackson series are good stories but also easily supplemented with related Greek myths - and in my opinion the books are even better with an understanding of the mythology.
    Also, I don't know about your DS, so YMMV, but with some of the books the darker or more emotionally intense aspects can either make the book a valuable reread (with a greater emotional understanding) or a book that should be held off for later (emotional OEs, anyone?). Also, sometimes an only moderately challenging or a comfortable book is valuable for the story alone (in our house it's definitely a balancing act, though).
    If the wizard thing went over well, Septimus Heap is good and long (seven fairly lengthy books).

C
    C
    My son will find an author and want to read all his/her books even if they aren't a series. I remember him reading (and I read some to him at night) all the Andrew Clements books...they are a little lighter reading than Harry Potter.

B
    B
    DS7 just finished the Unicorn Chronicles series of books. I think the main character is a girl, but the author is male (Bruce Colville).

I haven't actually read the books but here's one review on Amazon:

"When I bought this book in third grade, I expected a girly story about Unicorns. I only bought it as all my friends did, too. When I got it, I read a page, got distracted, and left it to collect dust for ages. When I was in seventh grade, I finally had the sense to give the book a shot. I am sooooo glad I did. It is NOT a girly book about unicorns- it is a well written fantasy with deep characters and an intriguing plot. The story moves at a perfect pace, and it is a book I adore. I believe the title is very misleading. It is a great story, and it is right up there with Ella Enchanted, The Immortals Quartet, Harry Potter, The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, and The Changling Sea. Those are books you'd probably also enjoy if you enjoyed this."

T
    T
    Diana Wynne Jones - a lot of her stuff is out of print but you can find it in good children's libraries and used on amazon. The Chrestomanci series is very enjoyable, and I loved loved loved The power of Three.
    Pippi Longstocking has already been mentioned, but for more serious fantasy books by astrid Lindgren, check out Ronya the robbers daughter, the brothers lionhearted and Mio my son.

T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    My son will find an author and want to read all his/her books even if they aren't a series. I remember him reading (and I read some to him at night) all the Andrew Clements books...they are a little lighter reading than Harry Potter.

Thanks for this piece of advice...my son loved the book Frindle (as did I grin ). Just picked up 15 'very good' condition Andrew Clements books (7 of the them hard cover) for $31 shipped to me.

He's going to be excited!!!

TripleB

C
    C
    DS has consuming the Warriors series lately (about cats, fantasy genre, there's also a dog series by the same author).

Do check out the lists of books by age range, there have been some fabulous suggestions there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM