Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by squishys
    My DS8 read at two, is 3-6 years ahead in more than one subject, and is MG according to the SB5 and apparently not gifted according to the WISC IV.

This is exactly what I am curious about, this is not logical to me, trying to figure out what makes this possible. A child who teaches themself or is extremely motivated to learn to read at age 2 is an outlier anecdotally, so how could that not be shown in the numbers?

A two year old's brain that can read is not the same as an average or even above average two year old, right?

I do see how reading is different than math, though, great points, that makes sense.

My son will be tested next month, I am not applying for the DYS anytime soon if he does quailify in numbers (he's 4 in Feb.), I was just trying to wrap my head around how some children can perform 2-3 grade levels ahead and it not reflect in the I.Q. scores.

But with other factors, like motivation, the education culture of the home, access to materials/education/exposure, I guess I can see how a child can perform that far ahead but still be within the average or slightly above average range of I.Q.

I just thought it was curious how the DYS stated the 2-3 grade levels ahead in the criteria.

Also, I didn't read that they needed to be globally performing 2-3 levels ahead. I think it's great that they recognize that a child who performs at level in most subjects but is gifted in one subject, that child still needs the support and opportunity to grow in that subject.

I'm a former Special Education Teacher and I would administer the academic achievement tests, it's been a few years and now that I have my sons, I reflect on my experience and knowledge. When I performed these tests, I really did not completely understand them, I know that now, researching these topics. In general, many of my students had a higher I.Q. and low performing scores, so I am trying to wrap my head around the opposite.

Last edited by GGG; 12/21/14 10:16 AM.
    G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    It's trivial to be 2-3 grades ahead in reading, but unusual to be 2-3 grades ahead in math. Tons of K or 1st grade kids can read Droon or Rainbow fairy books, which are grade 3/4.

Tons? I am not so sure about that. Maybe if these kids live in Silicon Valley. But yes, I think you are right, a child can take off in reading, which is great, but this doesn't necessarily mean they are PG. As for math, you can't really self-teach in the same way as you can for reading.

I suspect the kids who are 2-3 grades ahead in math are significantly more than the PG cutoff, while kids reading a couple of grades ahead are much closer to the mean.

Makes sense.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by GGG
    how some children can perform 2-3 grade levels ahead and it not reflect in the I.Q. scores.
    In these instances, while the overall IQ may not indicate giftedness, most likely there is at least one high subtest score.

But with other factors, like motivation, the education culture of the home, access to materials/education/exposure, I guess I can see how a child can perform that far ahead but still b within the average or slightly above average range of I.Q.
    Yes, many families sacrifice greatly to provide more opportunity for their children, than what the parents had themselves in their youth. Additionally I'm familiar with several autodidacts who frequented the public library and learned, unguided, in their areas of greatest interest and passion. Talk about motivation!

On the downside, there is hothousing and tiger-parenting.

Also, I didn't read that they needed to be globally performing 2-3 levels ahead. I think it's great that they recognize that a child who performs at level in most subjects but is gifted in one subject, that child still needs the support and opportunity to grow in that subject.
    There are myriad sources for parents to tap into for information and self-education in supporting their gifted children. DYS is for the extreme outliers.

P
    P
    Definitely IQ above the specified level for the test used AND 2+ years ahead.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Let me just remind everyone that grade levels ahead based on being able to do work from actual courses, and grade levels ahead based on grade equivalents from a standardized achievement test are two very different propositions, only one of which has significant validity--and it's not the one from the NRT.

And yes, the developmental arc for reading is very different from that for mathematics, and less dependent on access to direct instruction. (One of the reasons not to lean too heavily on grade equivalent scores is the early plateau in reading decoding raw scores.) The change in slope across the lifespan for academic growth also means that 2-3 years ahead at one point in time has a very different meaning from 2-3 years at another point.

Plus, in mathematics, pretty much the whole continent of North America is about 1-2 years behind the rest of the industrialized world, which I don't think is due to the population being a standard deviation lower than the rest of the world in intelligence (though there are moments when that seems rather plausible!).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    Not to hijack the thread too much but having recently looked at the SCAT I wonder how predictive it really is. With so few questions in such a narrow format it didnt really seem very interesting assessment wise beyond the CTY application.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by GGG
    Is this a real world correlation?
    Here is one example of a simple chart commonly referenced: http://vcbconsulting.com/gtworld/iqgrade.html

Knowing an IQ score can allow prediction of achievement. However the corollary is not considered to be true; Knowing achievement is not said to be predictive of an IQ score.

That chart is way way off. That's the problem with ratio IQs.
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Let me just remind everyone that grade levels ahead based on being able to do work from actual courses, and grade levels ahead based on grade equivalents from a standardized achievement test are two very different propositions, only one of which has significant validity--and it's not the one from the NRT.

And yes, the developmental arc for reading is very different from that for mathematics, and less dependent on access to direct instruction. (One of the reasons not to lean too heavily on grade equivalent scores is the early plateau in reading decoding raw scores.) The change in slope across the lifespan for academic growth also means that 2-3 years ahead at one point in time has a very different meaning from 2-3 years at another point.

Plus, in mathematics, pretty much the whole continent of North America is about 1-2 years behind the rest of the industrialized world, which I don't think is due to the population being a standard deviation lower than the rest of the world in intelligence (though there are moments when that seems rather plausible!).

IMO, they spend all that time on memorising coin names (US coins have no denomination printed on them, and much of the first three years mathematics is spent identifying them by sight), faffing about with inches and pounds and such, and spending waaay too much time on fractions due to the aforementioned medieval measuring system.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by aeh
    I have never seen evidence showing that adjusting for race, children in the U.S. are much behind those in other industrialized countries. See for example
    Graph of 2012 PISA scores for 65 countries/economies

Originally Posted by Tallulah
    IMO, they spend all that time on memorising coin names, faffing about with inches and pounds and such
    Ha! Ain't that the truth! We are basically skipping most of 2nd grade math, moving straight on to multiplication and division.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Thanks for the link, Bostonian. I'll have to look it over.

My comment was based on what I know of instructional levels in other industrialized nations (not comprehensive, by any means), not so much the achievement outcomes of said instruction. (Though that has its own twists.) Since the question has to do with grade-levels-ahead, I wanted to introduce into the discussion the scope and sequence of math instruction in specific communities, and their alignment with grade levels. I could have rephrased it as, elementary and secondary math instruction in most of North America appears to be about 1-2 years behind instruction in much of the rest of the first and second world, therefore, our concept of grade-levels-ahead may be accordingly shifted.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM