Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    I found the first four Harry Potter books in my basement and put them on my son's bookshelf for future reading...didn't think much of it because he had been reading Magic Treehouse books.

Next thing I know he's into Chapter 6 of book one and well on to reading the first four Harry Potter books within a month. I then purchased the fifth book for him and he had it read within 5 days. After each book I let him watch the corresponding movie...except he hasn't watched the fifth movie yet...he's getting books 6 and 7 as well as movies 5-8 for Christmas.

I didn't really think he knew what he was reading until he was able to tell me in what chapter (in the book) various events happened as we watched the movie. After getting back his IQ test results I now know he's more than likely understanding the books.

Anyway, once he finishes the last two books in the Harry Potter series, is there something you feel he might like?

The problem I'm having is finding books on his reading level but not out of his maturity level, or with too much violence, or with any profanity.

Maybe the Percy Jackson series? The Hobbit? Others?

Thanks for any and all input.

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 12/21/14 06:31 AM.
    U
    U
    HP is pretty violent, sad and mature in the last few books--you're aware, yes? I mean, no sex or profanity, but they're dark.

There are booklists in the resources section--I think you will find some good choices there.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I agree that the latter Harry Potter books have themes which are dark but different kids are affected to more or less of a degree. My DD didn't like HP but relished Dr Who at the same age. She moved on to the Hunger Games aged 8.

You could try the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz about a boy spy (junior James Bond). James Patterson wrote the Maximum Ride series about mutant children who can fly. Both are actually much easier to read from a literary perspective than HP.

Wrinkle in Time is excellent fantasy.

HID Offline
    What my daughter read after devouring the HP series?; she went straight back to the beginning and read the whole series again! I guess she liked it. wink I just bought her the Wrinkle in Time 4 book set for Christmas, I'll have to wait to see if she likes it but I think she will.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by TripleB
    Maybe the Percy Jackson series? The Hobbit? Others?

My ds had a hard time finding books he liked at the same age after having read all the HP books. FWIW he did *really* enjoy The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings/etc books, as well as The Percy Jack and "The Invention of Hugo Cabret". And Captain Underpants wink He liked the series of books that are titled "Tunnels" "Holes".

Have fun looking for books for your ds!

polarbealr

C
    C
    My older DD, now 8, moved to The Hobbit, the Narnia books and also the Susan Cooper 'Over Sea, Under Stone' series. I re read the latter too and they were great even as an adult.

I
    I
    Has he read Artemis Fowl yet? Several books in that series. My kids also liked the Septimus Heap books. How about Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH? And the Eragon series.

D
    D
    The Familiars and Starbounders series.

T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    And Captain Underpants wink

Have fun looking for books for your ds!

polarbealr

I'm glad you mentioned Captain Underpants.

I would like to have him reading some 'easier' 'laugh out loud' books that sort of give him a break from the harder books. Similar to the 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' books (of which he's read all of). When I've read a book that takes a lot of concentration on my part, I like to have a break by reading something that doesn't take much thought smile

Thanks to everyone for your recommendation of books. He hasn't read any of your recommendations - one day he was reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and wanted all his books to have pictures throughout them, then the next he's all about Harry Potter...not sure what made him make that huge leap but I'm very proud he did.

I'm going to check into each one of the books/series you mentioned. I appreciate your help and advice.

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 12/21/14 06:58 AM.
    J
    J
    Lemony Snickett series?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM