Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by Ivy
    Our cycle with schools has been about two years: a six month honeymoon period, about a year of "making this work", and then six or so months of "OK, what's next."
    Oy, I was totally on that bus. Hoping homeschooling will have the built-in flexibility to work over a longer time span.

D
    D
    We seem to be able to do about 4 months successfully... then we troubleshoot... lather, rinse, repeat...

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    I thought the last one would last longer. Because of its high flexibility (based on homeschooling) we jumped ahead, swapped courses as necessary, and dropped things that weren't working. But nothing lasts forever I suppose.

U
    U
    One reason I am leery of a skip for DS is that we have a serious sibling rivalry problem, exacerbated in some ways by obvious gaps between older and younger (younger tests higher and is also socioemotionally much more skilled). DD is threatened by him already and I feel a skip would not help that relationship. (Despite this, she's been known to ask why he hasn't been skipped.)

The other reason I have been opposed is that the homework load at the magnet program is developmentally inappropriate for children who are age-typical for grade, let alone those who are not. It would not be the difficulty that concerned me at all, but the amount.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    One reason I am leery of a skip for DS is that we have a serious sibling rivalry problem, exacerbated in some ways by obvious gaps between older and younger (younger tests higher and is also socioemotionally much more skilled). DD is threatened by him already and I feel a skip would not help that relationship. (Despite this, she's been known to ask why he hasn't been skipped.)

We had process about this at our house too. Ultimately it was good for eldest to learn that others have gifts, too, and that he is not the only special sparkle-pony in the universe.

I'd say, meet DS's needs based on HIS needs, and then help your DD learn and grow and accept.

The other reason I have been opposed is that the homework load at the magnet program is developmentally inappropriate for children who are age-typical for grade, let alone those who are not. It would not be the difficulty that concerned me at all, but the amount.

That's a very valid concern. Are you sure that Magnet is the right place for him (as opposed to skipping into a program with a lighter load)?

Originally Posted by master of none
    we are not in a good place after having a good start to a year and a good previous year. So, good for a year in middle school, and now wishing we had done things differently this year. Really worried about next year since we have few options in high school

What do you think you will do for next year? We are in the same situation, only headed toward middle school. After years of not learning, I'm afraid to continue the trend in middle school. I think I might have to homeschool just to bring back that curiosity and love of learning that seems to be disappearing rapidly.

U
    U
    Are you sure that Magnet is the right place for him (as opposed to skipping into a program with a lighter load)?

We don't have a lot of other options. frown There is a program that starts in a later grade that may or may not suit and is hard/probably impossible to get into. That's about it, other than private school or some kind of fringey charters.

D
    D
    Are you sure that Magnet is the right place for him (as opposed to skipping into a program with a lighter load)?

We don't have a lot of other options. frown There is a program that starts in a later grade that may or may not suit and is hard/probably impossible to get into. That's about it, other than private school or some kind of fringey charters.

Aha. Then I'd set about making a plan that meets DS's needs using the resources at Magnet but customizing as necessary. To wit: "because he's [young for grade, etc], XYZ isn't really developmentally appropriate for him yet... how can we accomplish this end via appropriate means...?"

It's amazing what's negotiable. Not everything is, of course... sigh...

To add to that-- of course, fringey charter might come with baggage that your family finds is completely unacceptable, in which case; NO.

However, if there is one that doesn't, they might be more amenable to the approach that DeeDee mentions-- that of negotiated and highly individual solutions to educational challenges/barriers.

Whether or not that is a real option depends upon how rigid your state and local charter restrictions/guidelines/laws are, and on the particular charter, of course. But it might be worth investigating. A charter might be open to things like having a student do EPGY/AoPS for math as a pull-out, for example.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM