Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #206992 12/04/14 06:20 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Anyone got AMC8 results/stats yet? I may be remembering wrong, but this seems a bit later than usual as the test was the 18th.

M
    M
    I have not heard anything yet. My ds usually don't tell me when he knows,
    Nothing posted on the site yet.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    So we are not the only ones. I recall stats going up at the MAA website during the first week in December. The staff at our university site also got emailed results (before the official ones by mail), which we have in turn received during the first week in December. However, this year I believe a volunteer third party actually handled the proctoring/correspondence so that may be the source of the delay on that end.

I posted on December 3rd last year that they had started posting AMC 8 results, so they are posting later this year.

AMC has started posting results. Only 75,000 so far, but they are updating nightly.

AMC 8 Results

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Yeah, I saw it too. The posting seems to be going slowly this year, only about 98,000 so far so probably about 2/3 done. One weird thing had me looking back at the stats for the last couple of years. The 1% cut on the distribution chart is higher (23 versus 22) even though the stats so far don't support that - a smaller percentage (so far) actually scored 22+ and 23+ compared to last year.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 12/16/14 09:15 AM.
    M
    M
    The results finally seem to be in, but there appears to be far fewer students than the last several years. Perhaps that accounts for the differences? I'm curious as to why there was such a drastic cut in schools and students participating.

C
    C
    Last year, the results were uploaded over a several-day period. In our state, it seemed to be done by region. I would just continue checking in intermittently if you don't find your school/child on the list. (Of course, they only list scores above a certain threshold as well, though that wouldn't affect the total numbers tested. However, I think these numbers were uploaded in batches, too, IIRC).

Last edited by cricket3; 12/20/14 06:28 AM. Reason: Clarification
    This morning just over 114000 results were posted, and the individual and school honor rolls are finally up as well. If numbers match past years, they probably have about 36000 more contests to score.

The number of perfect scores does seem lower this year; the kids on AoPS think this year's AMC 8 had more trolls than usual, especially number 18, which accounts for the lower number of perfect scores.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ohmathmom
    This morning just over 114000 results were posted, and the individual and school honor rolls are finally up as well. If numbers match past years, they probably have about 36000 more contests to score.

The only reason I thought it might be complete was because in previous years they've kept the "in progress, updating nightly" notation on until the scores were complete. I was impressed by my son's school. It's pretty new to AMC - they started Mathcounts (very casually - once a week for a few months) three years ago. This year, they had one student on the Distinguished Honor Roll, seven on the Honor Roll, and one of the Achievement Roll. My son's score improved from 15 in 6th to 21 in 7th with nothing beyond his participation in Mathcounts, so I'm very happy. smile It's nice to see progress, since a lot of school tests don't really show that for gifted kids!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM