Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #207953 12/18/14 02:09 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    NM

Last edited by punkiedog; 01/09/15 05:05 PM.
    L
    L
    THAT SOUNDS AMAZING! How wonderful that the school district offers this and that your DS qualified!

Where is it??? We might need to move... wink

Wow, this is amazing! You are lucky to have a district like this. Very nice! I guess if I were in your shoes, I would do a lot of listening while the tutor describes how things normally work. I would most definitely make sure that your son does not have to do any of the material from the class he is being pulled out of. There is zero point in doing busywork for the sake of busywork. He will be beyond what is given in that class. I am also a big believer that most schoolwork should be done in school, especially in early elementary, so I would ask that no homework be sent home if that is truly an option.

You will likely have more questions after you meet the teacher. It may be helpful to take notes and followup by email with the teacher to make sure you are on the same page.

M
    M
    This is a pretty cool opportunity for you son. Let us know how it goes.

I think your questions are good. You will probably have more when actually chatting with the tutor. I would also ask how they deal with this year to year. I would want to make sure there is something in writing that this will either continue next year or they will place him at the next appropriate level. (We had the experience of private compacted curriculum for our son in kindergarten, but when that teacher left, we were stuck with our son in inappropriate math because there was no record of what he had done the previous year.)

You are so very lucky to have a proactive school like this! So awesome. Please do keep us posted!

P
    P
    [/quote] I now am not sure if we should apply for DYS. I am just sort of amazed at how quickly his teachers have jumped in to get things going for him. [/quote]

I would apply DYS if I were you. For your DS to have a chance to hang out with true peers (local gathering or annual event at Reno), is priceless.

E
    E
    I agree with Peter. I don't see a downside to applying to DYS. You have the opportunity to attend the Summit and/or one of the Davidson camps, and there are most likely regional events that you would be able to attend even if a trip to Reno doesn't fit in your budget. Just because the school is working with you and you are getting fabulous services now doesn't mean that you will get them forever, too. Even if his school district looks great "all the way up" right now, budgets change, and you guys could move to a less accommodating district. Being already a DYS member could help.

I agree with Peter and ElizabethN about DYS. I don't know your whole story, but if you have qualifying scores or it's easy to assemble a portfolio, there is no downside in applying. In addition to the benefits already mentioned, you also gain access to private elists of parents of other DYS kids who have been there/done that and can give more specific information. That has been the biggest benefit to me so far. Yes, there is a ton of great info here on this public forum, but there are more DYS parents on the private elists.

P
    P
    Wow. That is a cool way of providing for kids. You do need to know of any catches though. Is the tutor allowed to accelerate or is his remit to provide extension to keep your son busy?

T
    T
    I'll join the chorus of how cool that is.
    The things I'd ask for: extensive documentation, to make sure no one can think of a good reason to stick your kid into grade level math in a later year. (They may think of bad reasons, but don't make it too easy.)
    Absolutely no grade level homework. He doesn't need it, and the point is for him to get out of it.
    In fact as others have said, as little homework as possible. Maybe fluency I timetables stuff, but not one worksheet a day homework. He's got an hour one on one, he is surely way advanced, no need to pod any more work in the after noons unless it's stuff he seeks out on his own. That said, you may want the time in. The afternoon for extension work or enrichment in language arts, which he may need as well, but which Is easier to provide as differentiation Ina regular classroom.
    I'd make sure the tutor works on weaknesses,but doesn't over look strengths, ie presenting your work legibly and neatly, organization etc, but work on this with math at his level.
    Enjoy it while it lasts! From a policy point of view, this is really not a sustainable service, expensive, envy-inducing and without any (with a DYS level child, probably questionable and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to provide a cluster of peers, but no need for you to look the horse in the mouth as it were.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM