Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by mom123
    I assumed she would outgrow it with age.

I wouldn't assume this. I was "painfully shy" as a kid, to the point of not being able to ask permission to go to the bathroom, and not only did I not outgrow it, but it became even more embarrassing and more limiting as I got older. Moot court in law school about did me in. I say get her help now.

C
    C
    My son was developmentally delayed, speech impaired and expressive language imparted as a young preschooler. All those labels were dropped later and at 8 got an Aspergers dx. So he qualified for In home speech therapy for about 6 months (fine one on one with the therapist not the gabbiest of kids but it was productive and play groups we were attending I would say spoke once or twice an hour to the other kids, so very quiet). Entered the ESE preschool program and didn't speak one single word from his enter date (February) to the end of school year. Needless to say speech therapy was a waste those 4 months. We were concerned but when school started in august again he participated and talked like he had never gone 4 months completely silent in school. I am glad there was summer break. Because I think he did want to talk and he needed a fresh restart in august. We would have been calling in experts if it had continued the next year.

Last edited by Cookie; 12/19/14 06:46 AM.
    N
    NGR Offline
    N
    My daughter had selective mutism in preschool and kindergarten. I took her to a psychiatrist and she was prescribed 15mg of Zoloft for anxiety (one pill cut into quarters). This amount of medicine is so small it basically metabolizes in a day. She was cured instantly. She stayed on Zoloft for 6 months then slowly cycled off. We tried speech therapy and went to a psychologist, but that was a waste of money. Today she is a bright happy confident 13 year old girl. She participates in class, gives presentations, and loves to debate.

Also, we are typically drug free, organic types. This was our last resort and it was incredibly successful. My heart aches for the pain she was in when the year I did nothing.

Last edited by NGR; 01/15/15 11:26 AM.
    T
    T
    There is a moms blog called raisingsmartgirls, one of her daughters hand selective mutism. Lots of links and resources.

Last edited by Tigerle; 01/16/15 06:28 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM