Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Our DD9 took the ITBS a month ago, and the test states "Form Level E-13. It's the Complete Battery (math, science, social studies, reading). What grade level is this test?
    Thanks!!!

E
    E
    Looks like seventh grade - is that plausible?

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    From the info at the following link it is grade 7 as ElizabethN said. The E denotes it is aligned with common core standards from what I read.

http://www.riversidepublishing.com/products/ia/pdf/Iowa_Scope_Sequence.pdf

Congratulations greenlotus. I have followed your recent posts. All the more impressive. No wonder the school is finally sitting up and taking notice. I am very pleased and relieved for you. I know it has been a stressful time!

V
    V
    Not familiar with this test. Is it similar to WJ-III in scope?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    It is grade 7, though the level of the test does not determine what norms are used in scoring. That is specified by the person filling out the student's information on the answer sheet--frequently the student him/herself. There is a space where the student's grade level is to be bubbled in and that is what is used in scoring the test.

V
    V
    So is it like WJ III?

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Originally Posted by VR00
    So is it like WJ III?
    No. It is a group-administered, multiple-choice test, unlike the WJ, which is individually-administered by a trained examiner, with multiple open-response formats.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Kai
    That is specified by the person filling out the student's information on the answer sheet--frequently the student him/herself.
    Sorry to hijack, but this helps me understand something that happened a while ago - my DS7 said that he had to fill out an answer sheet kind of paper that asked him to rate how good his abilities were in math, LA etc. after he finished an out of level achievement test. I always wondered why, and this makes sense.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Kai
    It is grade 7, though the level of the test does not determine what norms are used in scoring. That is specified by the person filling out the student's information on the answer sheet--frequently the student him/herself. There is a space where the student's grade level is to be bubbled in and that is what is used in scoring the test.

So the school psychologist did agree that she gave the ITBS level 13 (we were originally told DD would get the 6th grade test). The grade of the student taking the test would have a bearing on the NPR he/she received. Our DD is in 4th grade, and the sheet states this. How does a 4th grader get scored on this vs. a 7th grader taking the test?

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Originally Posted by VR00
    So is it like WJ III?
    No. It is a group-administered, multiple-choice test, unlike the WJ, which is individually-administered by a trained examiner, with multiple open-response formats.

Very helpful. DD9 did not do as well on the WJ as her WISC score indicated that she should (this is what the tester stated). So DD had the opportunity on the ITBS to find the correct answer and circle it vs. the WJ where she would have had to just pull the info from memory - is this correct? I am trying to figure out why the 2 tests would have such different results. I also need to know what the ITBS scores mean in our situation because they will be used to determine if DD can grade skip.

Last edited by greenlotus; 12/19/14 09:56 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM