Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Casy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello! Long time lurker, new poster here. smile

My 6 yr old son has an OT evaluation tomorrow, and I am hoping to get some input on how successful OT therapy is for your children in dealing with sensory issues.

He's in the middle of some school evals, but I wanted him to receive some assistance outside school as well as in school. He's always displayed some sort of sensory issues, but until he got into kindergarten, it hasn't been an issue worth pursuing. His behavior is starting to negatively impact him at school, so we're trying to get help. Despite the fact that Illinois has no provisions/funding/programs for gifted kids, the school psychologist IQ tested him at my request. I won't get the results until the IEP meeting with the school in January, but he reads at a 3rd grade (at least) level, does simple division and multiplication, and can add and subtract triple digits and multiple sets of numbers (often in his head). I know for a fact he's gifted to some degree, I'm just not sure how much. You can simply have a conversation with him and know he's gifted! I think because of this, his sensory issues impacted him less than they could have. I asked him to be tested to determine how far from the norm he is, because that alone can have an impact on behavior and may drive different methods to use for him.

On the sensory side, he displays stereotypies (arm flapping, bouncing, noises), used to cover his ears and scream for public restroom flushes and the hand dryer, dislikes loud noises and will leave the area or cover his ears. Tactile functions: he also doesn't like to get dirty/messy, screams when he spills water on himself, doesn't like stamps or stickers on his skin. Additionally, he is constantly in motion, touches everything, and seems to find it impossible to keep his hands to himself. This is what gets him in so much trouble at school.

There is no indication of autism, and I am very familiar with the symptoms and signs. The school psychologist is in agreement as well. My thought is overexcitabilities/sensory dysfunction. He is such a funny, social, outgoing kid, and I really want him to continue to enjoy school. I had some similar issues when I was a kid, and 35+ years ago there wasn't much info on these problems, and I spent a LOT of time sitting out in the hallway. I'm just hoping that this tactic will help!

Thanks,
    Casy

D
    D
    Sorry to be a downer, but I have found that OTs routinely overattribute to sensory processing issues that have other causes. OT has never materially improved this kind of issue for my child.

M
    M
    Casy, my son was evaluated at 5/6, had about 1.5years of OT with an amazing OT (this is REALLY important, you have to find a good one - they might be "trained" in sensory integration, but that doesn't always mean a lot - our first OT told us we simply had to be more strict with DS and that would "solve" the "problem". She also told the teacher that there was something else "wrong" with DS!!! Anyway, so I can't say it enough: find a good one!)

But now at 8 I look back and am amazed at how far we have come. OT had a very noticeable effect and his behaviour would go backwards if we went long periods without it - to start. Towards the end the OT recommended stretching him between appointments to see if we could wean him off, and it worked really well.

Please update us with all your info. Hope it all went well!

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
    -Terry Pratchett
    G
    G
    I just attended a fabulous lecture at Vanderbilt about gifted children and overexcitabilities. While it's certainly possible to have a gifted child with sensory integration issues, autism, etc... who could benefit from therapy, it's also possible to have a gifted child who has OEs because he's gifted.

I'd recommend grabbing "Living with Intensity" and reading it to see if any of it sounds like your child.

C
    Casy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Update! My son has had OT at school and once per week with his therapist since last year. He's come very far and usually does very well in school. I think he'll always have sensory issues to some degree, but his control of them is much better now. He did test as gifted and I think it's likely he has OEs due to the giftedness.

LAF Offline
    Thank you for coming back and letting us know how it's going smile Glad things are better!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM