Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Belle, we will start the commute in September about 45 min to 1 Hour each way. Our now DS6 (Today was his b-day). We are looking forward to it. We really belive going to this new school will be great for him. My DW will start a job near the school so we only need to go once a day. She will be a TA at a nearby public school. We will try and have activities in the car, dvds, books, snacks,talks, books on tape, etc.......

It's been a hard choice, but somtimes you have to leap in and see how it goes. Congradulations on finding a school that looks like it will work out.

Dottie

Birthdays party's are hard work, we had a campout last night in the back yard, tents, campfire, smores, and lots of kids. This was his first year that he had school friends. Local public school K. He starts his new school in Septemeber, so we wanted him to stay in touch with local kids, so that he has some friends nearby. The kids loved the camping, and campfire. Being a Boy Scout leader I had lots of gear, built a gateway, a full campsite in our back yard. Today is an Angel Game, and tommorrow is take down. The things we do.

I don't know if the other commuting parents have done this, but we have activly had playdates with his K class friends. We felt it important that he have local friends. The new school, although great, pulls studnets from all over. He will make friends there also, but it's always nice to have some friends nearby. Is anyone else doing somthing like this?

Thanks Dottie

Originally Posted by Edwin
    Belle, we will start the commute in September about 45 min to 1 Hour each way. Our now DS6 (Today was his b-day). We are looking forward to it. We really belive going to this new school will be great for him. My DW will start a job near the school so we only need to go once a day. She will be a TA at a nearby public school. We will try and have activities in the car, dvds, books, snacks,talks, books on tape, etc.......

Wish your son a happy b-day. My dd9's b-day was yesterday.

It is good planning to have activities for the car. We have started listening to audio books in the car. If it is a good book sometimes you do not want the ride to end. My dd and I have been known to sit in the car after we get home to finish a chapter (when it is not blazing hot outside). Snacks are also important especially after school. My dd is always thankful that I have a snack in the car when I pick her up. It is a great time to get them to eat fruits and vegetables if that is the only thing you bring. wink Of course it is not unusual for my girls to eat breakfast in the car on the way to school. Thank goodness they are both old enough to help clean out the car now.

Happy B-day, Edwin's DS! My kids' friends go to a different school just because our neighborhood is near the dividing line for the school attendance areas. I think, in some ways, it actually works out better for DS because he can play with his local friend (who will be starting K in the fall) and the fact that they are in different grades doesn't really come up in conversation. They are just two boys riding scooters out front and wearing holes in their socks because they didn't put their shoes on smile

Dottie

If you ask my wife, its a boy thing, dad thing, DS15 thing.

Happy Birthday to Summers DD as well.

B
    Belle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Update on our commuting - after a week of commuting and living through Tropical Storm Fay and 28 inches of rain in our back yard in 2 days - we came to the conclusion that this commute is a wee bit much for our 5 year old and he was just really burnt out at the end of the day (along with the fact that the county the school is in stated before we began this, that they would be able to have an itinerant Speech/OT teacher come out to his school for his IEP services...after we started they stated that due to budget cuts they would no longer be able to do this and that we would have to commute another 15-20 minutes further away to drive him into another public school for services leaving us close to 1 hr 20 minutes away from home)....so we are back to square one.

Ugh! So sorry...about all of that! From Fay to school to change in plans.

What are your options?

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM