Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    P
    Hi, my mild asd son will be 5 in 2 months. We believe he may be gifted, but are not sure if we should pursue testing at 5 or wait until he is older. The IU will be doing transition to K stuff when he turns 5, but I'm not sure about IQ testing. I'm also not sure if I would trust what they do anyway, our IU experience has been very negative so far.

I'm also concerned because his preschool teacher asked if we talked to the IU teacher about dyslexia. Most of what we see that might point that way seems to be age appropriate and every time I've asked the IU that is what they tell me. But his teacher says that in children who know have known their letters/numbers for so long and read at a third grade level it is not normal to have some of his issues.

She pointed out some things that I have noticed too, but like I said, I just chalked them up to part of development. I too am beginning to wonder why they don't clear up. Basically, when he writes (which he's been doing for years) he reverses letters more often then not (his name starts with S and the S is usually reversed). When he writes numbers he often writes them out of order, 24, for 42 for instance, even though he knows the 1's and 10's position and can break down numbers into ones and tens just fine. When he reads he hates to sound out words. He can do it, but it seems to take a lot of effort considering he started sounding out before age 2. It helps him if I point to one letter at a time and he follows my finger. If he actually tries he's pretty much 100% at sounding out anything even slightly phonetic. He sometimes guesses at words starting with the end sound or even reading entirely backwards (like shinif for finish). When he writes he tends to do better, writing well from left to right and in sounding out order. In fact he writes full pages of phonetically sounded out stories and seems to have no trouble at it. Oddly, sometimes when something is a sight word he knows how to spell, it will end up written backwards (iluvuoy for I love you.)

So, in short, I'm not at all familiar with dyslexia other than a general idea that it can lead to trouble reading and has something to do with mixing up the order of things? I wasn't terribly concerned until the teacher said something, especially since he is reading so well. He also reads very quickly. I sometimes hear other much older looking kids reading at the book store and they are so much slower than he ever was. He's got a great memory for words, usually once we read a word, he's got it for any other text. He reads for pleasure and with great expression. He understands everything he reads and can ask and answer factual questions about the text. Owing to his mild asd (we assume anyway), he isn't great at answering any questions related to the thoughts and feelings of the characters, unless said thoughts and feelings are mentioned in the text.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It sounds like he is a simultaneous processor, rather than a sequential processor--often found in visual-spatial kids, which kids on the spectrum often are. I would guess that he has memorized the majority of his reading vocabulary by sight. I would further suspect that he has not automatized decoding by phonemes or morphemes, which is why he can sound out when pressed to (and when you scaffold the sequential aspect of it), but doesn't use phonetic or morphemic decoding as his go-to. It's just so much more work for him than memorizing sight vocabulary. He may be doing better with writing than reading phonetically because the spelling process forces him to go through the phonemes/phonograms sequentially; he probably doesn't have the same breadth of memorized spelling vocabulary as he does of reading vocabulary. I notice you mention that he makes reversals on words with which he is familiar--where he does not have to go through the sounding out process--which would support that hypothesis.

I would be inclined toward investigation with regard to a learning disability, such as dyslexia/dysgraphia (the latter because I would predict that spelling will emerge as a greater concern as the expectations for spelling accuracy and fluency go up). With the ASD Dx, at some point, he will probably need support for inferential reading comprehension and writing associated with literary analysis.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    P
    Thank you. This was very concise and helpful. Reading it also reminded me of his unusual skill of being able to read just as well upside down as right side up. I myself can read upside down about as fast as the average person can read right side up, but significantly slower than I read normally. DS often reads his books in whatever configuration they are in when he starts on them, seeming to have no preference for right side up text. He has gotten better this past year as I'm always flipping his book for him. Everything you said makes sense and if he takes after me spelling will end up being a problem. When I was in school I was always in the top reading group. In third grade they introduced a new subject: phonics. I failed. Miserably. To this day I am a great and fast reader and an awful speller. I was hoping he wouldn't take after me with my spelling weakness!

P.A.S. - While we don't have an ASD diagnosis, my DS sure sounds like yours!

Fun fact - we had just gotten the dyslexia/dysgraphia diagnosis when DS suddenly clicked with phonics. About the same time, letter and number reversals virtually disappeared.

At this point, I don't know what he's "got" (if these things are something you "have" rather something you "are"). But we're just sort of following treatment methodologies for dyslexia and general scaffolding for all the things that PG kids present that look like SPD/ADHD/ASD, etc.

Good luck to you. Bet he's going to turn out just fine!
    Sue

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM