Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 71 of 102 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 101 102
    When your DD15 texts you from school, after class:

Originally Posted by DD
    Rolleing right along in Calculus.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    While enjoying this, it also brings to mind a recent story from world news. Have you seen any of the news articles announcing that China has banned puns? This is not a humor rumor, evidently some believe that word play may mislead children and bring about cultural and linguistic chaos.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    While enjoying this, it also brings to mind a recent story from world news. Have you seen any of the news articles announcing that China has banned puns? This is not a humor rumor, evidently some believe that word play may mislead children and bring about cultural and linguistic chaos.
    A ban clearly doomed to failure, given the pervasive nature of punning in Chinese. Note the comment late in the article speculating that this is a preemptive strike on political commentary.

And word play requires some significant metalinguistic skills--something one would expect is to be cultivated in children.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    while getting ready for bed, your three year old says: "Reading is like eating spicy food. When you first try it, it burns your tongue. But the more you have it, the better it gets."

PS: I've been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. Everybody around me always gives me this odd, blank stare when I share the things my daughter says, so I've started keeping it all to myself. I am so thankful for this outlet and for an audience who understands.

One of my other favorites: A month before my daughter turned 2 she was drawing jellyfish, and I reminded her, "Don't forget to draw the tentacles." And she looked at me with disgust and said, "Mom, it's tendrils, not tentacles." I had to google tendrils. That's when I knew I was in for a really good ride.

C
    C
    When you take your children to the library and your DD6 spends the afternoon alternating between a high school level book on Black Holes and a Rainbow Magic book about fairies.

Coffee -- haha, yes!

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    She sounds like a really fun kid, thanks for sharing. I just learned Tendrils from her also!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Philomath
    PS: I've been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. Everybody around me always gives me this odd, blank stare when I share the things my daughter says, so I've started keeping it all to myself. I am so thankful for this outlet and for an audience who understands.

I can relate wink

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    The whole family is under the weather. When DS3 saw I was succumbing to the family cold, he said, "Aww, Mama, I know what you need to feel better: more white blood cells! I'm going to make you hot chocolate like an adult, and I'm going to add macrophages to eat your virus cells and natural killer cells to poke holes in them to make them die."

Bless his heart. smile

This offer was closely followed by a request to, "please wipe my nose, Mama."

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    When you sneak to the library without the kids and bump into another woman loitering in the children's section also filling a wheeled suitcase. Definately knowing looks were exchanged

Page 71 of 102 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM