Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Diamondblue
    LAF, my son also has TS (we're starting to see some OCD behaviors, so likely TS+). He also daydreams with pacing, sounds, facial expressions, etc. When he's at home, he tends to verbalize what he's thinking about - he's almost always creating video games in his head.

If you'd ever like to chat or need some support, feel free to message me.

Hi Diamondblue...thanks so much, I just PMed you. Strangely enough, I just got on the board because I was going to see if anyone else on the board had a kid that had TS+ or chronic tic with comorbidities...

D
    D
    I'm not often known for having great timing, so it's a nice feeling for once! smile I sent you a PM back and I look forward to chatting. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by LAF
    Does anyone have a kid that does this? I don't mean to just daydream a lot, I mean daydreams on steroids with pacing, jumping, facial expressions, laughing etc. and very very detailed, triggered by films, tv, books etc.

Omg YESSSS yup uh-huh (one sec... wait, what? sorry - I was somewhere else for a second)

DS and I BOTH are guilty as charged. DS paces, climbs, walks in circles, spins and hops around, and I make facial expressions and talk to myself, and sometimes pace.

Good luck stopping it. It's just too much fun. There isn't much that reality can do to compete with what our imaginations can bring to life.

T
    T
    I am a maladaptive daydreamer. School turned me into one, my head bing the most interesting place I could flee into. I would run around for hours in front of our hose and bounce a ball if the wall. Must have driven the neighbours crazy.

I'm one too.

When I read a biography of Charlotte Brontė, I got the strong impression that she and her siblings were too, from the descriptions of how intense they were about their invented worlds. I guess we're in good company!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    I am a maladaptive daydreamer. School turned me into one, my head bing the most interesting place I could flee into. I would run around for hours in front of our hose and bounce a ball if the wall. Must have driven the neighbours crazy.

Me too. Though it may have started before school. It can be a problem as I often prefer it to socializing. But then again maybe I do it because I don't like socializing.

T
    T
    My husband hates it when I do it in front of him. He yells at me to come back, be with him and the kids. He used to be a daydreamer himself, but has managed to channel it all into action. Lucky him.

P
    P
    This is all so interesting! My DS10 has always done something similar. He is an incredibly creative kid, and tends to leap around (he jerks his hands up over his head when he does this, and often points his head downward sort of... its the same movement most times - but its not rhythmic at all... does that rule things out for this?) and make odd mouth noises (I call him explode-a-boy when he's doing it, b/c it sounds like he's making explosion sounds).

It comes and goes, and I haven't seen it for a while but right now its back. Its great a) to hear we're not alone in this and b) to have something new to explore to learn about it. We thought it was more OT related, and sensory seeking behavior -- now reading this, SMD fits MUCH more than with sensory issues (he is a sensory kid - loves strong flavors, amusement park rides, etc., but things that should help a kid with a proprioceptive sensory disorder [seeking the pounding sensations that would follow his jumping around] don't really seem to make much difference for him).

For DS it started young. We have a video of him at 2 running back and forth in and out of the room where DH and I were sitting telling us a story he was making up. ;-)

We've always worried a bit about it for social reasons - and more so now that he's getting older! - but he's also slipped twice while doing it and once nearly cracked his head on a metal manhole cover. It was sheer luck that he didn't...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM