Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 41 of 131 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 130 131
    OP Offline
    DD, working statistics problems--

.... One could say that taking the log of the dependent variable data makes things exponentially more linear...

muahahaha...

Me: {groaning} You are enjoying this WAY too much.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    DS5 has decided that he is not a child, but a "young adult" and is firmly convinced we have missed a few of his birthdays! Adolescence will be fun... smile

U
    U
    just got hooked on Warriors last week, after bouncing off the first book last year -- too many pages, too small print). I think it is because they are so very predictable, and yes he was able to articulate that he liked not to be stressed out worrying about things turning out OK in the end. He hates scary stories.

Hmm--you may want to be aware that characters DO die in Warriors. Admittedly they go up to some type of kitty heaven or something, but they die. DD wept over several Warriors books. It's not like Rainbow Fairies, etc where everything always ends happily/the same...

Also, whoa, thank you for the glimpse into the seamy underside. I recently did tell DD about the writing factories behind Rainbow Magic/Warriors and now she is all scornful and suspicious and keeps asking me if other books with many installments are like this. (What IS the right name for that? It's not really ghost writer or pen name. Sock puppet? Group pseudonym?)

OP Offline
    Factory seems to do nicely, I think.

And no, not ALL series are like that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    Sindicate?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Also, whoa, thank you for the glimpse into the seamy underside. I recently did tell DD about the writing factories behind Rainbow Magic/Warriors and now she is all scornful and suspicious and keeps asking me if other books with many installments are like this. (What IS the right name for that? It's not really ghost writer or pen name. Sock puppet? Group pseudonym?)

I remember similar disillusionment upon discovering that Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and The Bobbsey Twins were all written by the same syndicate. smile

In an attempt to make his homework more interesting - and painfully drag out the experience leading to lots of yelling - DS 7 had to answer a generic question about a book he was reading. Shouldn't have taken that long, did a lot of drama about not knowing what to write. Finally does it - and he added citations from the text - complete with parentheticals and page numbers! Can't wait to see what the second grade teacher thinks of them!

DeHe

L
    L
    In connection to an upcoming wedding, dh and I were talking about how some people jump into marriage after knowing each other for just a bit and how others like us waited for many years. I commented that as long as it works for the couple, it is alright. Dd4 was listening and she said," you know what I am going to do. When I grow up, I will look for a good person every day and the day I find him, the next day i will get married." I joked," the very next day! Don't you think that is silly?" Dd replies," maybe so. But it works for me!" Haha

Also last week, I was very upset that an acquaintance is non-stop pushing his religion on me. Even though I respect his religious belief, he is unable to respect my non-belief. Dd consoles me," mom, you don't have to believe if you don't want to. You know what I say when people bother you. Hakuna matada." I cracked up and we both ended up singing the song.

S
    S
    DS6 wants to be a Minecraft Torch for Halloween. Not a creeper, but a torch. The reason? Torches are scary, Mama, spooky castles and caves all have torches. To each his own, I'm off to decorate a head-sized box with orange and red construction paper...

A
    A
    Not academically impressive, but apt: DS2 was watching an episode of the TV show "Between the Lions" when a musical interlude came on. He said, "This is terrible music." He was right!

On the ride home from swimming tonight, we were running through the alphabet and naming a dinosaur for each letter to occupy DS' attention. I blanked at "T", and he promptly suggested "titanosaur". I couldn't even think of t-rex or triceratops (or even a class like theropod) and he outclassed me.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 41 of 131 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM