Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Scouts work for my boy because my dh was a den leader and is now cub master and very involved. And son has best friend in his group that he wants to be with (also gifted) that we skipped him out of being in the same grade with him. So he enjoys his time with his best friend. Also it is a very laid back group.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    Scouts work for my boy because my dh was a den leader and is now cub master and very involved. And son has best friend in his group that he wants to be with (also gifted) that we skipped him out of being in the same grade with him. So he enjoys his time with his best friend. Also it is a very laid back group.

Leaders make a big difference in scouts (and 4H, too)

LAF Offline
    My son is in cub scouts (my DH is his den leader), and I found it very interesting that there were quite a few gifted kids in our pack...

My DD's Girl Scout troop spent most of its time doing boring art projects. She didn't stick around long.

G
    G
    For boys, sports, video games, or music seemed to work - to some extent.

Originally Posted by Bean
    Originally Posted by Cookie

Leaders make a big difference in scouts (and 4H, too)

I agree. The good news is that this can turn into a DIY project for parents who are so inclined. Most programs are happy to have new leaders form clubs/packs/troups. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    DS has expressed interest, off-and-on every six months or so, in learning to play the keyboard or guitar. Since there are quite a few kids at his school with artistic talents, this may be something to seriously consider. I recently noticed a local shop has opened offering piano and drum lessons, and we are considering buying him a real guitar for Christmas.

One of the kids from last year, whom DS looked up to (he moved on to high school), played drum. He thought he was the coolest kid.

OP Offline

I
    I
    This is an excellent article, thanks for posting it. This article has stood the test of time, and in the two decades which have passed since it was authored, a few more books have been written which may be of interest. The websites of Great Potential Press, Prufrock Press, and free spirit publishing are some to check.

A favorite thought from the article - the concept of "peer" as an intellectual peer, not a chronological age peer is valuable to keep in mind and share with gifted kiddos.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM