Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Majority middle and high SES preschool classrooms can keep the average skills gap present at preschool entry (one standard deviation in language, three fourths of a standard deviation in maths) from at least widening.
    Are you suggesting that children whose parents read to them and converse with them thereby aiding the child's ability to learn... should be subject to a type of sensory deprivation in preschool to assure they do not continue to learn... because other children effectively living with sensory deprivation at home... may gain compensatory benefits in preschool... and the ultimate goal is not the continued growth of each child but outcomes which are identical?
    I provided you with a source that states that as long as all aspects of high quality are provided (composition and instructional quality, among others), high SES children benefit as well and show continued growth. It also show that all kids show more growth in a classroom completely made up of high SES kids, which is why many high SES parents prefer private schools or public schools in low SES neighbourhoods. There is no free lunch, and there will be always some trade off if classrooms mostly reflect society at large. The question is, how much trade off does a society need in by order to maintain social cohesion and continued economic growth? Personally, And you may say somewhat selfishly, I believe that for gifted kids, the inherent sociioemotional dangers of languishing in a classroom without peers are too big. For, say, the top 25% or so of high achievers/mildly gifted kids in a regular mixed SES classroom, who would have, say,4 to 8 peers? Debatable.

Last edited by Tigerle; 11/27/14 08:55 AM.
    T
    T
    [quote]Khmer Rouge communism might get us there, nothing less. One would wish policy makers realized that.
    Are you suggesting that you would like to see things move in this direction? This was a massive genocide.
    Originally Posted by article
    anyone in opposition to this system must be eliminated. This list of “potential opposition” included, but was not limited to, intellectuals, educated people, professionals, monks, religious enthusiasts, ...
    Do you see gifted children benefitting from implementation of such measures?

Indigo, I am not sure what you are trying to do, but I am beginning to find it offensive.

Last edited by Tigerle; 11/27/14 09:10 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    [quote]Khmer Rouge communism might get us there, nothing less. One would wish policy makers realized that.
    Are you suggesting that you would like to see things move in this direction? This was a massive genocide.
    Originally Posted by article
    anyone in opposition to this system must be eliminated. This list of “potential opposition” included, but was not limited to, intellectuals, educated people, professionals, monks, religious enthusiasts, ...
    Do you see gifted children benefitting from implementation of such measures?

Indigo, I am not sure what you are trying to do, but I am beginning to find it offensive.
    I am trying to seek clarification on your post, and the relevance of those ideas to gifted issues.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    Seriously, the one difference is that while most of us couldn't care less about raising standards for low skilled people in sports, we do all of us have a stake in raising standards in academic skills related to employment prospects. There may have to be some trade off.

Getting back to an earlier point I made, the outsourcing of manufacturing and other unskilled or semiskilled jobs has made this problem much more acute. Another part of it is that the jobs in those categories that remain here now pay below a living wage. This is all part of the education mess we have and drives the "everyone should go to college" foolishness.

I
    I
    Four years of high poverty low quality schooling surely destroy any gains a kid might have made in one year of Head Start!
    and
    ...all kids show more growth in a classroom completely made up of high SES kids
    Some may suggest that "more growth" occurs due to appropriate level of support in the home. Rather than academic growth, intrinsic motivation, delayed gratification, and other traits which correlate with success being directly derived from the classroom experience alone, these may be developed and sustained outside of school. For example, role modeled on family.

C
    C
    Some members of this forum might wish to take advantage of a board feature. One might do this by following the following directions:

User list, click on first letter of user name, click on user, click ignore this user

If one does this, it might lead to not being as upset about what the ignored poster writes.

P
    P
    And please play nicely we don't want everyone who can confront us banned.

I was thinking April fools joke for the sports teams. Maybe a new ministry for sports equity. My kids are young so so far it is all fun type teams. Also they are fairly good at sport. I agree no-one much cares about the stragglers in sport but it is to the advantage of society that everyone find a physical activity they like and keep doing after school. Most people dont like things they are made to feel bad at.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM