Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks aeh - yes, I've surfed, but it's usually a bit disheartening... it's helpful to get specific pointers to those interventions that seem more promising in real life. (There's only so many times I can read "there's not enough evidence to judge" before I get a little squirelly crazy ). Thanks to your previous advice, I've got Read Naturally tagged as phase 2. From your experience, would you see Spelling Mastery as a good way to go instead of, or after, All About Spelling?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Spelling Mastery has a fair amount of overlap with AAS. Both use phonemic strategies as the first line, and whole-word memorization for irregulars, transitioning to morphemic (etymological/word-root) strategies in the upper levels. Both programs expect small, frequent sessions (15-20 minutes a day). Where AAS is intended for individual work, Spelling Mastery is a classroom or small group intervention, with a heavier worksheet component, with the handwriting and independence factors that come with that.

I would consider your situation and your child. Here are some sample lessons from Spelling Mastery:

http://nifdi.org/documents-library/.../162-spelling-mastery/226-sample-lessons

It doesn't look like it would be easy to purchase as an individual, other than through old editions on Amazon, etc. If in a school setting, though, I think it would be good.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    An endless source of info - thanks aeh!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM