Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #206346 11/24/14 01:17 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Hi everyone,

Long story short, I started teaching myself piano mid-September. I have been identified as gifted in two subjects with an LD but have not disclosed this to my teacher, whom I started with in October. I'm not sure if I should, but...

She's been teaching for over 25 years and after I finished the 3 Piano Adventures Primer books, she put me in Faber's PlayTime Classics Level 1 and Alfred's Simply Classic Book 1, along with a Piano Adventures Christmas book which is a 2B level.

I feel like I can handle harder material, as the 2B is still pretty easy, and I'm not sure how to go about asking this. My teacher says she's surprised I'm doing so well/finishing books so fast, but if I'm being honest, they're not very hard.

I'm so hungry for more I often play past my assignments and she's totally fine with this, but I don't need more of the same, either.

I don't want to be arrogant, but I also want to be honest. Should I just say I'm a fast learner and leave it at that? I feel like I need so much more.

I'd really appreciate advice. Thanks! smile

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Why not just say that you love piano (which you clearly do) and that you want to explore some more challenging material? Music teachers tend to love students who are passionate (disclaimer, married to one). It's your love of music that should count with your teacher.

C
    C
    I also play piano...tell her you want to challenge yourself with something more difficult :-) it can't hurt to ask!

My son also takes piano and what his teacher did was provide him with either more work to progress more quickly or let him pick a fun song to learn on his own from his fun book. He also uses Faber books.

What I have noticed with Faber is that you're taught a basic song. It may come back in later books with the chords. If you have a song you liked playing (and it's a classic), you can probably find sheet music on your own online that is more than just a basic melody. We did that with 'Ode to Joy'.

If you need a challenge, please approach your teacher and don't feel shy. She may be able to best assist you in appropriate sheet music. Perhaps there's something you would like to learn for the holidays or just for fun?

Editing to add: How are your dynamics? Are you playing things perfectly at each lesson? You can use these to justify her adding more work to get you through faster or giving you a harder piece to work with for a few weeks. Also, my son flew through the first few books really quickly, but slowed down some on the harder material. His lessons are a half-hour. If yours are longer, you may be covering more material than him. smile Good luck and keep practicing smile

Last edited by 2GiftedKids; 11/25/14 07:31 PM.
    Sorry - I didn't want to edit the other post again wink But have you considered trying your hand at composing? My son was still in his 2B books and his teacher had all her students in those books composing their own piece featuring specific elements she wanted in there. It was great fun at the recital to hear what everyone had composed. You could also try that approach! She might like the initiative and you can show her all that you have learned and prove you're ready, willing, and able for more of a challenge.

M
    M
    GuitarGirl, I am not sure how old you are but unless you're 10 or younger, I find it really strange that your teacher put you on primer level books.

That being said, your teacher might have a long-term plan for you and maybe she is working on specific skills before moving you forward. Even if that is the case, you still can bring pieces that you want to try.

P
    P
    GuitarGirl,

I play piano and all three of my children have taken piano lessons and they had a beginning teacher who used those books - and those books can be *painfully* slow! I would ask what Ivy suggested - and if your teacher isn't willing, maybe it's time to try to find a new teacher. I'm also not sure how old you are, but if you're still at home with your parents, have you talked to them about this?

Another idea might be to look at books at a music store and see if you can find something that looks like you could play with practice, pick a piece from it, practice it at home until you're fairly good at it, then play it for your teacher to show her you're really serious about feeling you can do "more".

Best wishes,

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM