Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #204081 10/22/14 04:43 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi everyone! I'm new here. I grew up in gifted programs and they were my only sanity in school. I generally hated the monotony of schoolwork, felt extremely out of place with my peers, and suffered from severe ADHD. Now my oldest daughter has been obviously bright since toddlerhood, writing letters around her first birthday, reading at age three, reading proficiently at age four, and now at age six is testing well above grade level for reading and above grade level for math. She is an abstract thinker, extremely mature, an "old soul" if you will, uses extremely complex vocabulary and easily carries on conversations with adults with losing interest. She is currently writing a book (she just picked up a composition book and decided to write her own American Girl character. She just started this) and she is determined to get published. She is interested in
    Her first STAR test put her at a 5.4 grade level for reading and a 2.8 grade level for math. We homeschooled last year, and I know I slacked on math because I hate it and it was intimidating to teach it, so I have no idea how much of this is aptitude and how much of this is what she has been guided in. My question is this: At this age, what grade level difference did you see between your child's performance and age? I know there is a world full of extremely smart people out there (I live in the home of NASA, so there are a LOT of brilliant people around here) so I want to be realistic about where she is in reference to peers. Would you call this 'gifted' or just bright? I'm really not entirely sure, and before I advocate for my child, I want to ensure I am not just assuming my kid is such a smarty pants. (Though my gut says she is gifted).

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Welcome MamaSparkles. These forums have been instrumental in keeping my sanity for the past year and my simple answer is-trust your gut.

I
    I
    Welcome!
    I have no idea how much of this is aptitude and how much of this is what she has been guided in.
    and
    Would you call this 'gifted' or just bright? I'm really not entirely sure, and before I advocate for my child, I want to ensure I am not just assuming...
    Have you considered having your child tested?

U
    U
    I don't much about STAR testing, but it is very likely that a 6yo reading at a 5th grade level who self-taught to read at 3 is at least moderately gifted.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    In K, my son's reading was +3 GE, his language was +3 GE, and his math was +2.5 GE. He had some vision issues that were being addressed in K and part of 1st.

In first grade, reading was +3 GE, language was +4 GE, and math was +3 GE.

Interestingly, fast forward to 3rd grade where his reading was +8 GE, language was +7 GE and math was + 6 GE.

Last edited by Kai; 10/24/14 07:13 PM.
    A
    A
    You sound like you're questioning yourself. Trust your instincts! Your average 6-year-old is not 2 levels up in math in 4 or 5 in reading even if they were homeschooled. smile

I'm not sure what DD's reading level was in K, but I'd guess between 5 and 8. She was doing 2nd grade math for sure (as in, I borrowed a 2nd grade math textbook from a 2nd grade teacher and she did it with great enthusiasm so I'm sure).

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    I think it varies but either way it sounds like she would be happiest with advanced work at school. Maybe I missed this, but what "grade" is she in now? DD will be 6yo when she is in 2nd grade (due to a skip) so the 2.5 grade math would put her right on target. The reading is ahead but I never listen to those. I was told I was grade 9 reading level in 3rd grade but stayed in my class with no issues and back then they didn't really give extra work (I actually wish I hadn't even been told).

I think just continue giving her work on her level or if you switch her into traditional school ask for a test to determine best fit. It sounds like socially she'd be fine with a skip.

G
    G
    Hi MamaSparkles, Welcome! This is a great forum/ community to here and see what other parents are doing with their kids who have similar learning differences. I am new here too. I agree with Ultramarina, Aufilia and the others. Trust your insticts as you know your child best (and you will be surprised how resilient these kids are and what they can handle). My son, who just turned 7yrs old this month is in 3rd grade at a local public school after 2 grade skips. Advocating for kids isn't always easy but you have to let their work speak for itself. A 6yr old motivated enough to write their own book is at the minimum moderately gifted compared to peers. The STAR tests and others can be used to confirm what you already know and help with appropriate class placement at school. My son is still very advanced for 3rd grade but he is my first child so I was not comfortable placing him in a higher grade with much older kids yet. He skipped pre-k and did kindergarten at 4 and he skipped 2nd grade last year. This is what I was comfortable with at the time. We still do enrichment at home at his level but socially this is route we took at school as we learn about his abilities.

C
    C
    Welcome MamaSparkles, I am new here too and my DS is only 3.5, so can't give u any advice on education, but would like to say that your daughter is most likely gifted~ this forum really help me a lot, many advice, experience sharing and resources!
    Btw, looking forward to read ur DD's book ^^

I agree with the others that you DD sounds unusual compared to peers.

Is there any reason you need to know how others stack up on a similar test? Are you planning to put her in school? One of the benefits of homeschooling is not having to care about where others are and letting her go at her own pace.

To answer your question, for child 1: +3 GE in math and reading in K, STAR tests >12.9 in math and reading at age 7.
    Child 2: +8 GE in reading and 4+ in math in K, >12.9 math and reading STAR tests at age 7.
    STAR tests are very short and not that accurate and I assure you the scores above did not match up to actual academic needs. A more realistic assessment could come with achievement testing like WIAT or WJ and/or curriculum based assessments to see what she can do with a local school's curriculum at a particular level.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM