Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    Zen, I'm assuming your school's 1st & 3rd grades are housed in the same school? Problem for DS is that his SCHOOL has no G&T coordinator, because G&T is housed in another school with the higher grades.

Yes, it is the same school from K to 5. Identification is school-based but per district-wide policy. In your situation I would be talking to the coordinator at the other school.

B
    B
    In terms of your question about acceleration and g/t programming, and whether kids still qualify...this was "sort of" a problem with DD. She did a full grade acceleration but she had to score 98th percentile or above for math/reading even after accelerating. After acceleration, she was no longer at the top of the class which was the POINT. I just wanted her to have work that was challenging, I didn't care if she wasn't the top kid in the class. Luckily by the time it mattered she was at 99 for math and 97 for reading so her math score was high enough. I had the g/t coordinator grumbling about her reading score, though. It would have been absurd for them to keep her out when she did as well as she did even after acceleration, but that was potentially a problem that we would have been dealing with. She may not have met their rigid cut-offs for achievement requirements because of the acceleration.

C
    C
    I'm very interested in this thread. Ds is in a gifted 4th grade but all students only work one grade level ahead at the same time doing the same thing. They just started working on factor trees which is yet again in regards to multiplication tables. Ds has shut down but they won't move forward. This is now going on week 5 of multiplication just in a different way. They said he's to immature for skipping a grade and instead should be evaluated by an outside source for ADHD as he won't sit still and do the work he's provided. I'm Trying to find an alternative school now that moves faster but we are in Arizona and it already has a horrible education system.

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I know that this differs by school, but in ours, the students in the G&T program outscore the "regular" students several grades up in regular classes on testing. Actually, if you look at talent search data, none of this is really that surprising. DD appears to be outscoring many of the GIFTED students several grades up on the school's own testing. Acceleration, then, would make absolutely NO sense unless it was into the G&T classes.

Dude, I love that you found a way to make it work for your DD (talk about taking the bull by the horns!), but DH is not in favor of any homeschooling. Honesty, I am not certain if it would work for DD anyway, at this point. DD seems to love the social aspect of school, but says generally she "hates school, because it is boring." DD would miss her friends and she is awfully self-directed for ME to be the one to homeschool her.

Still trying to work with the school. Not sure that anything I have done has really changed anything at this point - I feel constant worry and guilt about my DC, wishing I could do more to meet their needs.

I
    I
    NOTE: The Davidson Database was updated in 2021. The article quoted upthread, in this post, has moved.

"Gifted children: Youth mental health update" by Julia Osborn, 1996, published by Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Schneider Children's Hospital, is backed up on WayBack Machine, Internet archive.
    Links:
    1) article -
    . . https://web.archive.org/web/20200112034938/http://www.davidsongifted.org/search-database/entry/a10170
    2) list of archive dates/times -
    . . https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.davidsongifted.org/search-database/entry/a10170

The Davidson Institute eNews-Update: June 2021 also contains a link to this article.
    The author of the article is Julia Osborn Ph.D., and she refers to the work of Miraca Gross and others.
    Much of the information presented is still relevant after a quarter of a century.
    Link - https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-blog/25-year-review-gifted-children-youth-mental-health/

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM