Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #206283 11/22/14 12:15 PM
    M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Does anyone have any suggestions for music related "resources" that are not instruments for a 4th/5th grader who is very musically inclined? For instance something like Garage Band that allows you to manipulate the sounds without having the ability to actually produce them on an instrument.

C
    C
    You might want to check out noteflight, and a software program called Sibelius. Noteflight has a free edition, and then a subscription charge for more advanced features. I'm not sure about Sibelius; our school subscribes to it, but there might be a "lite" version for free.

Both are helpful for composing, arranging and/or transcribing music, and you can save a limited number of compositions (more with the paid version of noteflight, but we haven't gone there).

I think there is an old thread about music composition around here, but I don't think it focused on resources, IIRC.

C
    C
    Sibelius does have a lite version - still costs £100 or so - which is very powerful, but a warning: its user interface is spectacularly unintuitive. We bought it for DS's 10th or possibly even 9th birthday but it's only now at 11 that he's really getting into it. At school they use Noteflight, which DS says is less flexible but "quicker" by which I think he means more usable. With hindsight, I think we should have gone for Noteflight at home too.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    We've used a Garageband-like program that runs on Windows called Mixcraft. It costs about $80 to license, and comes with a free trial of about 2 weeks. The user interface is pretty easy, and it comes with a ton of instrument sounds.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM