Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I looked in the archives for something on this but could not exactly locate it.

Can people who have BTDT give some concrete info on what Davidson has done for them? DS6 is expressing some frustration with school despite some accommodations in place. The school and teacher are supportive but overworked. I'm wondering if DYS could offer anything concrete that would improve his experience at school. He really mainly needs this just for one year (next year he will be in the GT magnet), so in some ways this seems silly. We would have to pay for a private IQ test because his school-administed test was the RIAS, and while his scores would qualify him if it were another test, DYS does not accept the RIAS. He also might not even qualify and then that would be some money spent unnecessarily. He is not 2e, and I do not want to skip him.

OK, I guess the more I write the more I think that my default stance (no need to spend the money to test) is correct. But I'm still wondering what DYS has been able to assist with for those using the program.

C
    C
    We're pretty new to the young scholars. I'm hoping to attend the DYS summit. I want for DS to make some friends- meet a new group of kids and possibly find some common interests. Our school is amazing, so the issues with "giftedness" have mainly been social. DS has some social challenges anyway, and his intellect is starting make him feel different/isolated from the other kids.

The consultant was amazing to talk with re: educational options. Kids in the upper ranges of IQ may need different educational settings as they progress- for instance a K public or private may work fine, but fall apart in first grade or beyond. Gifted kids need advocates, and Davidson can help or provide suggestions.

Also, if we ever move/transfer, and I want to consider a highly regarded private school in a more urban area (quite possible), being a DYS may help in the application process.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    DS does feel different in his regular classroom, but has found many bright peers due to chess. He is a socially adept child, so I don't have many worries there, but he's seeming a little shut down regarding school content right now. At one point with an academic preschool he attended he was a full-on school refuser, so that's my main concern.

E
    E
    DD10 has been a DYS for a couple of years. DITD is helpful in terms of having someone to talk to and bounce ideas off of, but I think the most useful part of the program for us has been the Summit, the local informal gatherings, and STARS camp. Basically providing appropriate peers in a setting where it is "normal" to be who she is.

K
    K
    DS9 was accepted earlier this year, but we only recently had our initial phone conference. It was sort of useful, but most of the resources that were suggested were ones we already knew about. I don't think they would have been much help when he was in school and having difficulties. The best they could have done was provide an advocate (will they even do that?), but even then I doubt the school situation would have changed substantially.

For us, though, the most useful part has been going to the Summit and local gatherings. DS just seems to be more at ease with other DYS kids and their parents.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM