Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Ds, 9, in gifted 4th grade class does not do his work in class or turn in homework. At home he does his work no problem but is continuously having to bring work home on a Thursday that is due Friday that should have been done in class. He says at school he's distracted and he only wants toplay with friends. Are these signs oof ADHD? I'm still trying to get him in to see an occupational therapist for possible dysgraphia and a psychiatrist for possible ADHD but I'm so confused on how he can do his work at home no issues even with distractions but not do anything in class.

C
    C
    I wonder if he is distracted by the noise at school? My DS7 has occasionally mentioned that the students make too much noise and he can't concentrate. He's currently being evaluated for an expressive/receptive language disability.

I am much the same way- background noise is a major distraction. I recall completing anything I could at home because I could not concentrate well in class. Now, I would likely be diagnosed with an auditory or ADD type issue-- but of course, this was many years ago.

If your DS has ADHD, it's important to get a diagnosis for his sake-- I had major difficulties organizing, managing, and attending to small things, and *a lot* of hyper focus. Had I understood the issues earlier in life, I might have realized that my methods were maladaptive and the source of anxiety/stress. There were times that I had near panic attacks because I had procrastinated so badly that I would go into "brain lock" right before a big due date. Even an unmedicated diagnosis (just the knowledge that I had challenge) would have helped me change my ways.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    We are going to look into supplement or vitamins that are recommended for ADHD to see if it helps. He's an incredibly picky eater so dietary changes won't help since he isn't into sugar much anyways all he eats is pizza and chicken and spaghetti.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM